General Category > AN Issues

AN Diagnosis today and a baby on the way

(1/2) > >>

seavol:
Just received the disappointing news that it app there is a small lesion apprx 2 x 3 x 3 on my right side. I'm a bit panicked as my wife and I are expecting our first child, we are moving into a new house, and  scheduled to start my MBA in a month and now wondering what this means. I've only noticed a reduction of hearing in one ear w/ some fullness, but haven't had other symptoms I've read about. I'm sure I'm going through a lot of emotions right now but thought this forum might be able to help out. What to expect, what options to look at, and how to deal w/ it and when to have surgery.  Appreciate the help.

CHD63:
Hi seavol and welcome to this forum of caring, supportive new friends .....

First of all, take a deep breath ..... hard as that may be.  You will get through this and life will go on again.  If your lesion is 2x3x3 mm it is very small and you have time to do your research and choose your physicians wisely.  If it is 2x3x3 cm, you may need to act sooner but you still have time to consider your options.  ANs typically only grow 1-2 mm per year (on average), but occasionally they can take growth spurts so they need to be monitored while awaiting treatment.

Let us know whether your AN is in mm or cm and gather any questions you may have.

In the meantime, send for the free ANA information packet for a wealth of accurate information.  https://www.anausa.org/contact-us

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice

seavol:
Thank you for your kind note. It's been a year of changes and after spending a lot of time reading the boards I'm encouraged by the stories and everyone's willingness to embrace changes in life.I was also ready about doctors to see and was wondering if it is worth visiting out of town doctors. I reside in Portland but after reading about a lot of Drs in LA wondering if it is worth the trip or does anyone have any recommendations for Drs in Portland? Can't seem to find any but assume OHSU would be the best hospital.

Also, i read a lot about hearing loss and am curious what is the levels of hearing loss people experienced?

Thanks for the help.

CHD63:
Hi seavol .....

Many of us traveled great distances to have the best treatment possible.  However, this is an individual decision, based on many things.

I, for one, decided I wanted to increase my chances for a successful outcome and flew across the US for my surgery in LA.  For me, it was the best decision and I had a very successful outcome.

As for hearing loss, it all depends upon which direction your AN is growing in the internal auditory canal.  If it is close to the cochlea end, your hearing will be affected sooner.  If it is growing toward the brainstem, you may not have any hearing loss for quite awhile.  And, of course, any variation between.  Symptoms (not necessarily size) often dictate how quickly a patient seeks treatment.

When I was originally diagnosed, my AN ear hearing was approximately 80% of normal, with 100% speech discrimination.  Following my first surgery, it was 20% but still 100% speech discrimination so I effectively used a regular, air-conducted hearing aid until my second surgery, which took the remaining hearing.  I have a bone-conducted hearing assist (Oticon Medical Ponto Pro) now which is a big boost to hearing things from my AN side.

Remember ..... none of us are medical professionals on this forum, but we can share much of our personal research and experiences.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice

seavol:
Thanks again for the help. I just saw an ENT, although he referred me to another ENT so left the doctor w/ more questions then answers as he was hesitant to discuss optoins.

While he noted it was small < 3MM he mentioned hearing may be lost regardless because of where the AN is located, although he mentioned it's very difficult to tell this ear. While I still have 60/70% of my hearing in my AN ear, if it is growing on the cochlear segment of the vestibularcochlear nerve do you know if hearing loss is inevitable or could it be potentially salvaged?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version