Author Topic: Sleep Apnea & CPAP  (Read 4399 times)

ronh

Sleep Apnea & CPAP
« on: May 29, 2015, 06:12:32 am »
Hi,

I am going to be having a translab in a couple of months. I am currently on CPAP for my sleep apnea.

Will this be a problem? Will I be able to use the CPAP right after the surgery? The straps to hold the mask on are not near the ear. They are about 1.5 inches above and just below the ear. The strap is at least 2 inches behind the ear.

Will the air pressure be a problem?

Thanks, Ron

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Sleep Apnea & CPAP
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 07:42:21 am »
Hi ronh and welcome to this forum .....

I do not remember seeing this question on the forum before.  Hopefully someone on here has used a CPAP and can address your question with their own personal experience.

Presumably your doctor knows you use a CPAP, but if not I would certainly ask him your questions, as well.

My own, non-medical, opinion on the air pressure is that that part would not be a problem, but certainly ask your doctor.  As for the straps, it would depend somewhat on which brand of mask you are using.  Typically, you wake up from surgery with a significantly large pressure bandage on the surgical site (often wrapped around the entire head) ..... again, this can vary from surgeon to surgeon.  The actual translab incision also varies somewhat.  In my case, my scar is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches behind the ear in a curved fashion (about 3-4 inches long).  Usually the pressure bandage is removed in 24 hours, but the surgical site remains very tender for most people for several weeks.

Just a thought ..... ask your sleep apnea doctor about alternate types of mask that could maybe avoid the incision site.  Depending upon how long your incision is, the bottom edge of it could be under the strap.

Hope that helps.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

robertwh2

• Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 08:14:21 am »
I have used a CPAP for years and was told to bring my machine, mask, etc... to the hospital. They were able to set it up for me while in the hospital and I was able to use it when I got home. I had no issues with straps or comfort and the air pressure was not an issue.
Diagnosed Feb 2010 with 2.3cm x 3.2cm left side AN
Trans Lab May 26, 2010 tumor had grown to 4.5cm, University of Michigan
Subsequent MRIs are clear
Left single sided deafness

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 08:51:33 am »
I had worked with my respiratory therapist prior to surgery to modify the straps on my headset. However, given my extensive surgery and time in neuroscience ICU with a breathing tube, or o2 line, and the CSF drain, I did not use the mask in the hospital. Nor did I for a few weeks after I went home. It was okay though when I did use it and the modification (removing one section of strap) did make it more comfortable for awhile. It did increase leakage, so once I was comfortable enough to do so, I used a full set of straps again.

It probably depends greatly on the type of mask you use and where the straps hit.

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

ronh

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 05:55:04 am »
Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated. Going to see surgeon today.

ronh

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 07:46:55 pm »
Dr told me to not use CPAP for two weeks after surgery. I am in the middle of that now. Been sleeping in recliner.