Author Topic: Having AN surgery at Duke Hospital 05/26/15, getting nervous  (Read 4682 times)

garyb

My name is Gary from Myrtle Beach SC, I was diagnosed with the AN about 8 weeks ago. At first I was taking it very well, now that the surgery is less than a week away I am finding myself very anxious & doubting the procedure. Furthermore I am a business owner with a dozen or so employees who count on me daily, I am getting worried about their welfare. 

If anyone out there can shed some light on my recover & realistic time frame of being away from my company I would greatly appreciate it. My AN is in my right ear into the brain, roughly 3cm. Large on the scale of size according to the Dr.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Gary

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Having AN surgery at Duke Hospital 05/26/15, getting nervous
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 11:19:24 am »
Hi Gary and welcome to this forum .....

Can you give us a bit more information on your situation?  Do you have any usable hearing left in your AN ear?  Did you have balance issues before your diagnosis?  Have your doctors told you which approach they will be using to remove the tumor?

The answers to the above questions could make a difference on recovery time.

With any major surgery, it is rather automatic to assume at least a six week recovery period.  However, some have been able to return to work before then and some take longer.  Each of us is in a unique situation so no one can say for sure what your recovery time will be.

What type of work you do also makes a difference on when you could return to work.  If you have a sedentary job and have no complications following surgery, you might be able to return rather quickly.

In my case, I was retired from public school teaching before my first surgery so I did not feel the pressure to return to work quickly.  I experienced significant balance issues and double vision for a couple of weeks following surgery.  However, I know that by six weeks I could have returned to teaching safely.

Hope that helps, but tell us more .....  Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

garyb

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 01:55:57 pm »
Clarice,

thank you for your response. Yes I lost 48% of my hearing in the right ear and was experiencing balance issues for several months & even today that I blew off as age related; however I now realize that is was symptoms of the tumor. As for my job, I own a rather large wholesale company that is nationwide but based out of Myrtle Beach SC. I mainly use the computer & phone to buy & sell, my staff is well trained however I am the quarterback & they rely heavily on me for the day to day operations. I have been training the staff to take over where I am leaving off but hoping that it will be for only a month or so.

Today I began to research a bit online & noticed the facial struggles many were experiencing, that began to trouble me. Although it is my life that means more to me so I could continue to provide for my family & staff, it bothered me that maybe I don't know as much as I should. Curiosity was getting the best of me..

I appreciate any & all experiences shared XAPAURso that I am at least prepared. I enjoyed Mark Rubello's story, it was encouraging! A big Thanks to him & the person who did the documentary.

Gary

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 02:40:21 pm »
Hi Gary .....

Thanks for the additional information.  If patients choose surgeons who have vast experience removing specifically acoustic neuromas (not just any brain tumors ..... ANs are in a rather unique category because they are relatively rare and grow so close to the facial nerve), the success rate for an uncomplicated surgery is greatly increased.  Many of us traveled a great distance for excellent, experienced care.

If you have had balance issues already, your brain will compensate more quickly for the loss of the vestibular nerve with the tumor removal.

Barring any unusual complications, you should be able to resume working in a month or so.  We always advise patients to have plans A, B, and C lined up for different options post-op.  In other words, if you cannot manage going back to work in a month, be sure to have plans ready if that happens.  Fatigue is the main obstacle most of us have experienced so you may need to consider easing back into work until your stamina returns.

Best wishes and if you have other specific questions, post them and I know someone else will share their experiences.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

emily vandalen

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 06:04:29 pm »
I had retro sigmoid surgery for a 2 cm. AN on the left side seven weeks ago at Johns Hopkins.  I was so impressed with the level of expertise and care.  Surgery took 8 hours and I was in the hospital 5 days.  Within 3 days I had no pain meds except tylenol.  I could take care of myself within a week and after a month I was fully functioning but just needed to pace myself because I got tired easily.  I have the expected deafness on the left side...very slight facial nerve issues...and some changes in taste.  Within 3 weeks I was driving and my balance was close to normal except in the dark and when my eyes are shut.  Your neuroma is a little larger than mine, and every case is different...but I wouldn't be surprised if you could be back at work at least part time within a month.  By the way, I'm from South Carolina, too...Greenville.  All the best to you!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:07:23 pm by emily vandalen »

ANGuy

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 06:31:04 pm »
I am watch and wait for now, but I am using Dr. David Kaylie at Duke as my neurotologist.  I can't speak to his surgical skill as I have not had treatment, but I can say that I am very comforted by the way he approaches all of this.  I am confident in his level of competence and I have had zero issues with the ancillary things like scheduling, demeanor of the staff etc.  Every provider I have made contact with at Duke has treated me, and my medical situation, exactly the way I think they should.  Even the billing has been without issues, they code everything properly, send it to the ins company and the ins co pays the bill.  Other providers my family uses always screw everything up and it takes six months to get a bill straightened out.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

robertwh2

• Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 02:53:10 pm »
Gary,

You are in your final 24 hours before surgery. I was there exactly 5 years ago. I will be celebrating 5 years post op on May 26, 2015.

The past 5 years have had their challenges, but I live my life pretty much how I did before my surgery. I have SSD and struggle with some balance issues but nothing else. No headaches, no facial issues, etc... Surgery is just one step in the process and I am can tell you that life does go on and for many the 'new normal' is only slightly different than before the surgery. Even with my issues I am very happy 5 years later. I returned to work 8 weeks post op and never lost a step, and I am a Materials Manager for a large factory.

Please know that I will be praying for you tomorrow as you start your journey to recovery.

God Bless,

Robert

Diagnosed Feb 2010 with 2.3cm x 3.2cm left side AN
Trans Lab May 26, 2010 tumor had grown to 4.5cm, University of Michigan
Subsequent MRIs are clear
Left single sided deafness

are21

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 06:48:12 pm »
I am 8 weeks post op and had a 2.9 cm AN removed via translab in NYC.  I did not have balance or dizziness before the surgery but I had lost most of my hearing on the right.  Post op I had no dizziness or balance issues but I did have some facial issues that began 1 week after the surgery but are mostly all gone now.  I was driving in 3 weeks and back to work in 6 weeks but probably could have gone back to work in 4.  From my experience the first 2 weeks were difficult but gradually it got much better from there.  Stay positive and set realistic expectations.  Best of luck.