General Category > AN Issues

Anyone diagnosed by MRI without contrast?

(1/2) > >>

finlayargyle:
Finally have a date for MRI (end of July, NHS). It is listed as without contrast but radiology said if they see something they may have to give it but that's rare.

DR was one who suggested mri to rule out AN, I'd have thought they'd have wanted to make sure! I don't want to have to wait for another mri with it.

Anyone have an AN diagnosis without contrast?

CHD63:
Hi finlayargyle .....

An MRI with contrast will pick up almost all ANs, large and small.  However, without contrast, small ones can be missed and larger ones may not be clearly defined for size and place.

Before my first diagnosis, due to a mistake in ordering, I had an MRI done without contrast.  It was read as negative for any abnormalities.  14 months later another one was done when I experienced hearing loss, but with contrast that time and my AN was found at over 2 cm.  I would lobby for my doctor to include "with and without contrast" on the order, if I were you ..... unless you have kidney disease or some other reason why the contrast material might cause a problem for you.  Just my thoughts .....

Clarice

arizonajack:

--- Quote from: finlayargyle on May 21, 2015, 09:25:58 am ---Finally have a date for MRI (end of July, NHS). It is listed as without contrast but radiology said if they see something they may have to give it but that's rare.

DR was one who suggested mri to rule out AN, I'd have thought they'd have wanted to make sure! I don't want to have to wait for another mri with it.

Anyone have an AN diagnosis without contrast?

--- End quote ---

Since it's that far ahead you have time to start lobbying for contrast. An MRI without contrast is a waste of time and money. A lab test a couple of weeks prior will check your kidney functions to make sure you'll have no issue with the contrast.

Echo:
When I first complained of symptoms my ENT ordered a Cat Scan and an MRI "without" contrast.
The cat scan came back clean, nothing showed.  The MRI showed a 1.8cm AN.  My follow up MRI 6 months later was done with contrast and the next two MRI's were without.  The image is definitely more clear and sharp with contrast which would make small AN's easier to see, but there was no problem finding my AN on initial diagnosis without the contrast.

Cathie.

finlayargyle:
Thanks. Going to ring today to say about contrast. Hopefully they agree to use it. I just don't see the point without it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version