Author Topic: illness more often  (Read 2857 times)

bjkivel

illness more often
« on: May 18, 2015, 08:56:49 am »
Good morning fellow ANers.

Pre-Surgery i was a pretty healthy guy and could fight off the common cold when it hit our household.  I now find that is not the case.  Surgery took it's toll and I'm not as strong....  I do have a question though.  I find that when I do catch a cold that it settles in my right eye (surgery side) and i get the goopy gunky eye in the morning this is something new to me and just curious if others have had the same experience. 

7 months removed - golf game is off to a very good start - although I do take a few advil before my round......

Right side retrosigmoid craniotomy
4.8 cm AN removed
Right side mastoidectomy / repair CSF leak
complete hearing loss right side

age = 41

ANGuy

Re: illness more often
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 03:00:49 pm »
Seasonal allergies are often mistaken for a cold.  There pretty much is no way to be sure which is which.  I don't know where you live, and what your history regarding pollen allergies is, but this year is one of the worst, maybe THE worst, I have ever dealt with regarding allergies. 

I don't know what the pollen counts have been, I just know my usually annoying spring pollen allergies are off the hook this year.  My wife and kids are the same way.  Benedryl is the only thing working and every day is a struggle between the drowsiness of Benedryl vs. the out of control sneezing, wheezing, itchy throat, plugged E tubes and crusty eyes.

If you usually don't have pollen allergies, that does not mean that the ridiculous level of symptoms this season aren't giving you a hard time this year.  I have spoken to several people here who usually don't have seasonal allergy problems that DO have them this year.  I think if enough pollen is dumped on even the most resistant person they will start to have symptoms from it.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

bjkivel

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 08:20:57 am »
Thank you ANguy - I live in MN and we are in full bloom so that might be the case.....

Hope all is well
Right side retrosigmoid craniotomy
4.8 cm AN removed
Right side mastoidectomy / repair CSF leak
complete hearing loss right side

age = 41

Sueoelke

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 11:48:21 am »
I've found that since my surgery in May, 2014, that the symptoms seem worse when I get sick and dizziness comes on suddenly. Other than when I had the AN symptoms of dizziness before surgery, I had never been dizzy in my life.  Since surgery, when I get a cold or anything the dizziness comes and goes.  The doctor told me to expect that to be the case in the future.  I don't think I'm sick more often, but I'm more sensitive to the symptoms.  I had Translab so my balance is questionable.  It's MUCH better since immediately following the surgery, but not 100% yet.  But . . . my golf game has been tremendous (relatively speaking) since surgery!  I consider it vestibular therapy since I'm walking so much on the course!   
Diagnosed 2/2015 with 3.2cm left side AN.
Translab 5/20/2014
2nd Translab 2/2015