Author Topic: At what point does something have to be decided?  (Read 23492 times)

bethtretrault

Re: At what point does something have to be decided?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 01:49:48 pm »
So the tumor went from 5 mm to 7 mm and is growing out of the IAC. Decision time. I am talking with Dr. Coelho and Dr. Broaddus at MCV in Richmond VA. Looking at conventional surgery because of pre-existing dizziness and balance issues. Any advice? Any experience with MCV?
beth
12/2013 5mmx4mmx4mm left
tinnitus, w&w
5/2015 7mm-louder tinnitus, occasional dizziness
retro sigmoid 11/2015

Janey

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 09:39:01 pm »
Hi Oak 1971, MG, and Cheryl R,
Thank you for your responses to my earlier post.  I had my 6 month MRI on May 4, and much
to my dismay, it had grown a few mm's (like yours MG).  It is now around 9mm to 1.1 cm's. 
I am scheduled for another MRI  in September.   I so want to remain W & W, but I think I'm leaning
toward GK if it comes to having to take action.  Prayers for your surgery, Oak1971, and prayers for
your situation, MG.  By the way, I have lost most of the hearing in my left ear, have some mild
balance issues, and tinnitus that I can sometimes ignore. 

Janey

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 09:45:06 pm »
Hi Beth,
So sorry your tumor had shown growth.  I pray you will be comfortable with your treatment decision.
Let us know what your dr.s recommend and what you decide.  Best of luck to you.

MG

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 12:41:51 pm »
Hi Janey,

Sounds like you're in the same boat. I have an appointment with Dr. Antonelli from Gainesville on June 25th. Hope to get some answers and see if I should also go with GK. I just want to take my time to decide because I don't do well under stress at all. Sending prayers.

MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

Janey

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 10:06:26 pm »
Hi MG,
Best of luck to you at your appointment.  Keep us informed of what you decide. 

MG

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 06:04:26 am »
Janey,
Thanks. Will let you all know.  :)
Resides Inverness, Fl.
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

bethtretrault

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 05:14:13 pm »
Hey all-have decided on surgery with retrosigmoid approach to be done at MCV in Richmond Va. I think I actually feel better now that I have made a decision. Let me know how you all are doing and what you decide.
beth
12/2013 5mmx4mmx4mm left
tinnitus, w&w
5/2015 7mm-louder tinnitus, occasional dizziness
retro sigmoid 11/2015

Janey

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 09:23:37 pm »
Very best of luck to you,Beth.  Keep us informed!

MG

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2015, 11:36:09 am »
Hi Everyone,

My doctor says I will need to have radiation within the year so I will start to look for the best solution for me. I think I might lean towards Cyber Knife. Has anyone looked into this type of radiation treatment?Would appreciate your input on the subject.

Good luck to you Beth!

MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.

keithmac

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2015, 12:24:47 pm »
Hi Everyone,

My doctor says I will need to have radiation within the year so I will start to look for the best solution for me. I think I might lean towards Cyber Knife. Has anyone looked into this type of radiation treatment?Would appreciate your input on the subject.

Good luck to you Beth!

MG

I attended an A.N. open day at a local (UK) hospital last year with a visit to its new CK unit and a meeting with the team who uses it.  I was impressed by what I heard but I might have been equally impressed if I'd visited a GK facility.  From what I've read in the past the potential outcomes look very similar. 

Janey

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2015, 10:17:16 pm »
Hi MG,
What is your reasoning for choosing CK over GK?  Anxious to know, as I possibly will have to make
a similar decision within a few months.

MG

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 04:33:40 am »
Hi Janey,

To tell you the truth, I was trying to avoid having pins in my head. I am a big chicken!  :o  I am just so confused on what to do. I just want to do what will be the best outcome but who knows that?? Have you done a lot of research on Gamma? If you have let me know and I will do the same.

P.S. Thank you Keithmac.

Good luck!
MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.

keithmac

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 05:18:33 am »
Hi Janey,

To tell you the truth, I was trying to avoid having pins in my head. I am a big chicken!  :o  I am just so confused on what to do. I just want to do what will be the best outcome but who knows that?? Have you done a lot of research on Gamma? If you have let me know and I will do the same.

P.S. Thank you Keithmac.

Good luck!
MG

I don't know how much 'a lot' of research is but I feel that I've read enough from the medics and, perhaps more importantly, from those who've had GK or CK. I hope I've managed to get a reasonable view of the overall situation but there's a lot to take on board so I do understand how you might feel.  There is simply no way to know which course of action would turn out best.  What happens here in the UK (my summer home) is usually different than in the USA from the accounts I've read and from our American snowbird friends.

In the US folk seem much more able and willing to seek out the best doctors even if it means treatment in a different county or a distant state.  Here we have less choice as there are fewer treatment centers anyway.  As so often the American healthcare system looks better than ours - provided you have insurance or the wherewithall to pay yourself.  But maybe it's just a case of the grass looking greener on the other side?

Good luck and I'll be tracking your postings with interest.

best, Keith

NYLady

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 07:22:06 am »
Hi MG,

Just thought I would add my 2 cents....

I chose Gamma Knife because it was a one time treatment.  Honestly, I had no problem with the attachment of the head frame (see my account of experience in Radiation Therapy).  If that is the only issue for you, please revisit looking into Gamma Knife.  For me, hearing was poor prior to treatment and I have lost just about all of it in that ear now.  I believe chances to avoid hearing loss are a bit better with CK, but also dependent on where the tumor is located.  Nothing comes with guarantees my friend.  I just wanted it to be done and it would have been difficult for me to make multiple trips for treatment.  I am not at all sorry I chose this route for my treatment, and once you decide, you will feel much better.  Ultimately MG, listen to your gut and act on your own feelings and you will have made the right choice.  Best to you....

NYL

Janey

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 08:57:36 pm »
Hi MG,
I have not done a ton of research on GK vs CK.  Like NYLady, I like the idea of a one-time treatment.
I am in WV, and if I have to have treatment, it will most likely be somewhere else.  The somewhere
elses that I have looked into (Wake Forest, Duke, UPMC) seem to advertise GK the most.
I know it is such a confusing issue.  Just when I'm sure I'll go with GK, I start thinking about the
possibility of surgical removal!!  I just wish we all knew what treatment would be the best for each of
us!