Author Topic: Had Surgery on March 26th. Getting Ready To Go Home  (Read 4967 times)

jtwarrin5

Had Surgery on March 26th. Getting Ready To Go Home
« on: March 31, 2015, 09:04:57 am »
Well, I made it through surgery. They checked me in @ 5:15 am and began knocking me out at 7:30 AM. The doctors began opening me up at 9:00 am and proceeded with the surgery. Michigan Ear Institute team, headed by Dr. Babu, did an excellent job on keeping my wife up to date during the surgery. The surgery ended up taking 10.5 hours to put me under and bring me back. The tumor ended up being larger than expected. The doctor said the tumor was about the size of a racket ball.

My facial nerve is in great shape, with no weakness. Recovery has been pretty good as well. I was walk around without a walker, no blurred vision and no vomiting, but there was plenty of nausea after surgery. The worst recovery period had to be between 48-72 hours. At that point, the damage from surgery is really setting in, with head pain and nausea. Besides SSD, I'm doing really well. I really appreciate all the advice. It has really helped me to prepare for the surgery.

mac84

Re: Had Surgery on March 26th. Getting Ready To Go Home
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:22:19 am »
Glad things are going so well...Hope all continues so! 
Diagnosed 10/13/14 with 1.4cm AN L side
1st Consult with Vanderbilt 11//14
W/W.  Next MRI in April 2015 at Vanderbilt.
April 2015 MRI no growth -
April 2016 MRI no growth - still 1.46cm.
4/17: No growth!
4/18: No growth! MRI 2 yrs
4/20: No growth! Symptoms stable- MRI 2 yrs

Troutbc

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 01:18:29 pm »
Glad to hear you made it through the surgery! I have surgery coming up in a few days and am a nervous wreck. I am so fearful of becoming SSD, but I know if I want my life back I need to have the AN removed. (I am very symptomatic with dizziness and head and neck pressure).

Any words of wisdom to help me get through the morning-of surgery? Reassurance that they just knock you out and then wake you up and its over with no memory of the surgery would help :) !!

Thanks!
26 year old female Boston,MA
3cm AN diagnosed 2/13/15. 9.5 hour retrosigmoid surgery in April 2015 with Barker/McKenna

ANGuy

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 01:50:16 pm »
I'm glad you made it through so well.  I wonder if the nausea was from the anesthetic since, if I read it properly, you didn't have balance issues post-op.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Sonia in Sydney

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 02:26:13 pm »
jtwarrin5 thats fantastic news and all the best with your recovery.

Troutbc, my surgery was on the 27th January and i was also a nervous wreck. The best advice I can give is download an audio book called meditation to promote successful surgery. I listened to this in the days leading up to surgery, the night before and the morning of. It was a great tool in putting me into a calmer state, positive mind frame and helped me mentally prepare for what was ahead. Its available on amazon. Simply being positive and meditating I believe helped my outcome. I was never really a meditator before this but it certainly helped in this situation. All the best.

Sonia
Diagnosed 4cm acoustic neuroma 12/17/14
Tumour Removal 1/27/15
CF Leak repaired. 1/31/15
Right Facial Palsy. (diagnosed as temporary)
Tarsorrhaphy performed.
Right side deafness.
Balance improvement post op.

jtwarrin5

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 03:39:47 pm »
Glad to hear you made it through the surgery! I have surgery coming up in a few days and am a nervous wreck. I am so fearful of becoming SSD, but I know if I want my life back I need to have the AN removed. (I am very symptomatic with dizziness and head and neck pressure).

Any words of wisdom to help me get through the morning-of surgery? Reassurance that they just knock you out and then wake you up and its over with no memory of the surgery would help :) !!

Thanks!

I was anxious for surgery, but I wrote my wife and kids a letter, just in case things did not go well. I knew that I was in God's hands and competent group of experts. That gave me a lot of piece.  I got a little freaked out when they talked about the having me on a trach to breath for me. For you and I, it's totally new and it's natural to be scared. Be confident in your team and do everything that you can to physically and mentally prepare. After that it's out of your hands. I like Sonia's advice and I just prayed that everything would be okay. It's not something anyone should have to go through, however, there are many here that have and they're doing great. As far as the hearing goes, I've had three months to prepare myself for SSD. My hearing was already at 40-50% voice recognition. It's a bummer, but I'm healthy and it's just another door to walk through. I'm praying for your recovery.

jtwarrin5

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 03:42:19 pm »
I'm glad you made it through so well.  I wonder if the nausea was from the anesthetic since, if I read it properly, you didn't have balance issues post-op.

I believe that nausea was from the anesthesia. Everyone said that I was the best AN patient that they ever had and PT kept calling me an overachiever. My balance had been getting progressively worse for the last three months and that helped me during recovery.

jtwarrin5

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 03:42:50 pm »
Glad things are going so well...Hope all continues so!

Thank you!

Jimquoctran

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 12:40:43 pm »
Glad the operation went well.  Recently moved from Commerce Twp. back in 2014, to the greater NYC area. Miss Michigan dearly.
2.6 cm left side AN.  Diagnosed on Feb 11, 2015. Translab approach perf'med on Mar 24, 2015 at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City by Drs. Samuel Selesnick and Philip Gutin.  95% Resection, with pre-surgery hearing intact at 60%.  Bal. nerve cut