Author Topic: Facial Stiffness Post Facial Massage  (Read 3773 times)

Sonia in Sydney

Facial Stiffness Post Facial Massage
« on: March 31, 2015, 06:02:00 am »
Hi,

8 weeks post AN surgery with resulting RS facial paralysis. I am performing my own facial massage to stimulate the tone and nerves in my face with hope of a full recovery. This week I am finding when massaging around my mouth and chin with some pressure my smile on the paralysed side freezes momentarily and i become quite stiff with an almost numb sensation. Has anyone experienced similar through their recovery? I am hoping this could be a sign of positive nerve regeneration or could it be that i am massaging too firmly?

Anyone with specific facial exercises that worked for them either recovered or currently experiencing facial palsy, i would appreciate the tips.

Sonia
Diagnosed 4cm acoustic neuroma 12/17/14
Tumour Removal 1/27/15
CF Leak repaired. 1/31/15
Right Facial Palsy. (diagnosed as temporary)
Tarsorrhaphy performed.
Right side deafness.
Balance improvement post op.

mandy721

Re: Facial Stiffness Post Facial Massage
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 05:41:07 pm »
One of the things  Jackie Diels suggested is to use a feather and gently sweep it across the affected part of your face during the day.   Be very gentle when massaging your face.
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

Kristena

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 08:24:09 am »
Early on when my facial nerve started to reawaken, I would notice my cheek tighten slightly and a little dimple appeared above the corner of my mouth when I washed my face at night. It was very exciting! Sometimes I even pulled down on my upper lip lightly to get it to "react" for picture taking (kind of like stretching a worm then having it retract). Maybe it wasn't a good idea though--it doesn't do that anymore.
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

Sonia in Sydney

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 04:55:05 am »
Kristena, how long post op did you notice this sensation of reawakening? Has your face made a full recovery and how long did this process take?
Diagnosed 4cm acoustic neuroma 12/17/14
Tumour Removal 1/27/15
CF Leak repaired. 1/31/15
Right Facial Palsy. (diagnosed as temporary)
Tarsorrhaphy performed.
Right side deafness.
Balance improvement post op.

Kristena

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 11:33:19 am »
I would have to check my notes, but I think at about 3-4 months. It's been over 18 months now, and I have not had a full recovery. I have significant synkenesis, and there is minimal movement in the right side of my face, except that I can close my eye and create a seal with my lips--so I am grateful for that.
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!