Author Topic: BAHA 5 on the way  (Read 9451 times)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
BAHA 5 on the way
« on: March 30, 2015, 03:58:33 pm »
July 2015 is my 5th anniversary for my Cochlear BP100. Recently I had to get a hearing aid for my good (only) ear because it is going south. My BAHA has the gain turned up as far as it will go and it is still difficult for me to hear through it. I am on Medicare and it allows for an upgrade every 5 years, so in July I will get the yet to be announced BAHA 5.

The benefit to me is the BAHA 5 will communicate with my Resound hear aid. My audiologist believes this will help balance my hearing and might help with sound location. Her Cochlear rep is also an audiologist and she believes both of them working together can make a huge improvement for me. I am really excited. July can't get here fast enough.

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
Re: BAHA 5 on the way
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 03:19:55 pm »
James

this past December I went from a BP100 to the Baha 4. What an improvement. If thr 5 is an improvement over the 4 you are going to have a pleasent surprise.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 03:31:19 pm »
I wish you well with a new BAHA when you get it. I hope it performs better for you than my BAHA 4 does for me. I am going tomorrow to have mine adjusted by new audiologist and really hope it works better after that visit.

I just got it Dec. 2014 and can hear noise of course but am not happy with quality of speech. I was SSD for 3 years though so I guess I am just used to turning my good ear to person. I try to wear it all day but it is more aggravating whistling like a "regular " hearing aid than useful.

I am hoping tomorrow will be better.. I had high hopes for more normal conversational tones.  Good luck to you though!!
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Necromancer

• You are your own best advocate!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 11:20:52 pm »
For anyone interested, the BAHA5 started shipping as of April 1,2015. Just contacted the company this past evening. Significant improvements, and clearer sound.
Left SSD 5 days post flu vac. Severe vertigo x 3 weeks. Left ear AN found on MRI 11/5/14 6mm x 4mm watch and wait. 22 hyperbaric O2 tx, no change. BAHA5 Attract 4/17/15 changed to post 12/15/15 2.5 year  MRI shows no change.

Brewers7

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 01:42:29 pm »
How much are the 5s?  I no longer have insurance coverage.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 08:21:15 am »
I just ordered a BAHA 5 (upgrade for my BP100) and my insurance BCBS-IL refused coverage.  My policy allows it, but since my BP100 is not lost or broken, they won't pay anything.  Fortunately, my employer is paying for it.  It cost $4,600.

It should arrive within the next week.

Can't wait!!!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 03:59:28 pm »
Talked with my new audiologist and a Cochlear rep/audiologist last week about my BAHA 4 and it's performance. Rep helped tweak it and it is better but no AHA moment... But I wear it because I have it,,,

I asked the Rep  about differences of new 5,, and she said basically processor is 20% smaller and it will interface/connect directly to an iPhone,, that's it,, processor is same as 4 internally,, I was thinking I might try to upgrade if it was worth it, but she said it wouldn't be,,,to just wait awhile ,,

Just info for those interested in BAHA 5,,

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

james e

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 01:53:37 pm »
Well, here it is, July already. Medicare has approved my new "government issued" BAHA 5. Cochlear is contacting Blue Cross Texas for the balance and I should contacted pretty soon. Can't wait! Keep you updated.

James

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 10:50:51 am »
I'm very excited for you James  ;D

My BAHA 5 arrived about 2 weeks ago but I haven't worn it yet because I couldn't get an appointment to have it programmed until 8/19.

My doc's office is "down" an audiologist and they are just too busy to see me sooner.

I'm anxious to start wearing it - and also anxious to give my BP100 to a fellow ANer who has been without a processor for a couple of years now.  Her old processor "died" and her insurance won't cover a new one.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 08:12:49 pm »
Jan

I upgraded from thr BP100 to thr Baha 4 in Dec, 2015. It is a vast improvement over the 100. I had a chance to play with a Baha 5 while I was at a Cochlear training session in St Louis back in June. It is better then the Baha 4. You should be very pleased.

Keith
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 03:07:49 pm »
I've only worn it for about 2 1/2 hours now, but I have to say I'm liking my Cochlear BAHA 5.  The sound is very natural, the size is amazingly small, and it weighs practically nothing.  I've already forgotten numerous times that I'm wearing it.  (Note to self - make sure you check your head before you hit the shower.)

The only time I have to touch it is when I snap it on and pop it off.  There's no volume button - since I have an iPhone there's an app for that.  I also use the app to change programs (in my case 1 is for everyday use and 2 is for noisy places).  The app recognizes my location so if I find that a certain setting/volume works in a certain place (like my favorite restaurant), I can save that information so I can automatically "go there" when I get to that location.  If you don't have an iPhone, there is a remote that you use to adjust the volume and change programs. 

For my free accessory I opted for the mini microphone and it worked wonderfully in the audiologist's office.  Once he synched the microphone and my BAHA 5, he walked down the hallway and spoke to me.  I could hear every word as if he were sitting right next to me; very cool  ;D

I've always been very impressed with Cochlear's BAHAs and I continue to be.  Love my new BAHA 5.

james e

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 12:19:22 pm »
Got my BAHA 5 about 10 days ago. My BP100 was good but it sounded like an old AM radio but better than being deaf. My BAHA 5 sounds exactly like human speech. Unbelieveable! I plug my only ear and just listen through the BAHA. It is outstanding. It operates off my iPhone. Crystal clear! No feedback.

I wear a Resound hearing aid in my other ear, and it also runs off my iPhone. The phone can only pair with one device at a time, so I have to unpair or forget one to pair up with the other. They both use the same size battery. I can balance the hearing between the BAHA and the Resound.

How lucky are we  that we have the technology we have!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 12:28:20 pm »
James e, glad you're liking the BAHA 5  ;D

Jan