Author Topic: Is this a definite diagnosis  (Read 6359 times)

jjilly

Is this a definite diagnosis
« on: March 30, 2015, 12:34:45 pm »
Hi all
This is my first post and would be grateful for some advice.
Had MRI Wed.25/3/15 Phone call Thurs from MRI department  -nothing to worry about We need to do some more scans wth an injection- booked for Mon.a.m. 30/3/15. Then on Fri.another phone call scanner has broken down and re-scheduled for Good Friday.Also on Fri,phone call from GP to see him that afternoon.Went to appointment and told have overgrowth of cells in left ear and drew a diagram said usualy benign and we need to do more scans of ear. I always ask for print out of reports and it said "There is a 7mm  lesion in the left internal auditory canal could suggest Acoustic Neuroma.MRI IAM for further evaluation"Gp has also said faxed it through to ENT to keep them in the loop after a prior referral. I am in shock as I was expecting a missed skull fracture or something with thyroid or MS.
Some background- I had a car accident in June 2014 Lorry doing 40mph ran into back of car whilst I was stationary shunted me 15-20m across oncoming traffic into a hedge suffered spinal injuries and calf haematomas and the force of the impact made my head split the headrest open so wondered about head injury. Hospital only did X-rays of neck and nothing showed up. Under accident car insurance claim saw orthopaedic consultant 1/11/14 and according to his report that I got 2 months later he had urged me to seek urgent medical treatment so went to Gp with following ongoing symptoms - balance and dizziness and falls,flashbacks and disturbed sleep and trouble getting to sleep, feeling sick worse on movement in my head and not reflux,memory and thought retention,headaches,back of head tender,noises in ears,emotional and stressed,tingling of top lip,difficulty focusing,numbness and tingling in feet and lower legs all the time,shaking hands,swollen ankles,spasms in back with it locking as well, and feelings of giving up.I had to push for a scan but Gp did not consider it urgent.
I didn't have any of these problems before the accident, The only problem I have had for about 18 months are several ear infections  usually in the right ear and an extremely itchy ear dx as eczema and referred to ENT The only hearing loss I have noticed is on the phone and need to use loudspeaker.
So do you think all these symptoms are attributable to the accident or AN if it is one? Could he have misread scan by saying left ear and my right ear is worse? Do they scan both ears or just the affected?
I also have Gilbert's Syndrome and am Hypothyroid (auto-immune) don't know if they are relevant.
Looking forward to your support.You have probably gathered I am in the UK.
Jill

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Is this a definite diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 01:16:00 pm »
Hi Jill .....

WOW, you have been through great trauma in the past several months.  Only your doctors will be able to determine whether your symptoms are from the accident, an AN, or most probably from both.  It may be difficult to sort it all out.

My best advice until you have the next MRI with contrast is to try to relax as much as possible (I know that is extremely difficult given your symptoms!).  As I know you know, stress makes everything worse.  Try meditation, praying, or whatever works for you to calm your thoughts while you wait.

In the US, an MRI of the brain and IAC with contrast will include both left and right sides so you should be able to tell about the seeming discrepancy there.

Be sure to let us know what you find out.  In the meantime, many thoughts and prayers for an accurate diagnosis and treatment of your symptoms.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 01:41:29 pm »
You have probably gathered I am in the UK.
Jill

Yes, "lorry" gave it away. In the US one gets hit by a truck. ;D
And the spelling of "haematoma" might also have contributed.

Anyway, (non-medical opinion) it's unlikely that head trauma causes an Acoustic Neuroma. At least I don't recall ever reading anything like that in all my research.

But I can tell you from my own experience that symptoms can arise suddenly where none had been before and it might just be coincidence that the accident related testing turned up the Acoustic Neuroma

"There is a 7mm  lesion in the left internal auditory canal could suggest Acoustic Neuroma."

That certainly does suggest an Acoustic Neuroma and could also explain the balance issues and tinnitus with everything else possibly being related to the head injury.

My own Alien Life Form was 9mm in the right internal auditory canal and caused me the balance issues and tinnitus but also rendered me deaf in my AN ear.

I don't think the ear infections and eczema relate to the AN but your hearing issues almost certainly do if it's on the AN side.

Anyway, welcome to the club that nobody wants to be a member of. You'll get lots of support and great information here.

Keep us posted on your progress.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 02:46:17 pm »
Wow Jill.....sounds to me if you have an Acoustic Neuroma there are things far worse to worry about..
If you have a 7mm AN it may not be causing any problems at all. Most people have hearing loss as a first sign, tinnitus and balance issues are not uncommon too... My uneducated non medical not to be listened to personal opinion... Looks like your first MRI was done without contrast, and something can be seen.. The MRI with contrast will help determine if it is an AN or some other growth/cyst/puss/fatty deposit/blood etc.... Depending on how this thing lights up or not will help determine what it is. It is possible after head trauma to have stuff in your head.. But the stuff happens to be exactly where an AN would be.. Take a deep breath, small tumours can often be managed conservatively.

http://www.jaypeejournals.com/eJournals/ShowText.aspx?ID=1209&Type=FREE&TYP=TOP&IN=_eJournals/images/JPLOGO.gif&IID=105&isPDF=YES
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

keithmac

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 07:50:04 am »
I live in Mansfield, UK.  You've had a rough time of it.  I'm on W&W and had balance and fulness issues in early 2009, now largely gone with my diagnosis after hearing loss 2013. 

My first MRI 'as a precaution' was in a mobile MRI unit, the second and third with Gadolinium in King's Mill Hospital.  The second scan result showed all of my head and I expect yours will be similar.  best of luck!

(You'll also find me at the BANA website)

jjilly

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 02:45:32 pm »
Hi all,
 Thanks for your replies and good wishes. I'm trying to stay calm but it is difficult with all that is going on with the car accident.I now have a new firm of solicitors so hopefully that will take some of the stress.She sounded very efficient and even concerned about the head injury. The last lot were completely useless as is the insurance company.I have now completed and posted all the paperwork for my complaint to the legal and financial ombudsmen to investigate so that stress should go.
I have my appointment for ENT for 14th April, so things are moving pretty quickly.
Are there any symptoms that become an emergency with a small AN?  Is there any link between low B12 but still in range and AN?
I will keep you posted as I find out things and I am sure I'll be back with lots more questions.
Jill