Author Topic: Shunts?  (Read 4120 times)

lmurray69

Shunts?
« on: October 14, 2006, 03:49:56 pm »
does everyone get a shunt put in .? if so where is it put.?how long is it there? I may not have spelled it right..it is to drain flood off the brain..or what.
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

tony

Re: Shunts?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 04:09:25 pm »
Sorry didnt mean to panic you
Shunts are only put in where (and when)  required
usually where a 3-4-5 cm AN is causing a problem (eg Hydro)
Smaller than this - only 1% of the time are there problems
Think of it as a temporary drain - I still have one
amazingly only I can see it - strangers cant spot it
Basically I posted the earlier text - because the subject is complex
and not easily accessable to the layman
Rest assured
Tony

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 06:52:05 am »
My understanding is shunts are only used to control problems with pressure build-up when the fluid around the brain can't rebalance itself or when there's a problematic CSF leak.  Generally, that only happens for the larger ANs (though there are, of course, exceptions).  I believe the vast majority of AN patients have no need for a shunt.  I certainly didn't.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Patti

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 07:10:47 am »
I wasn't doing well after my surgery so three days later they put a temporary shunt in and removed part of my cerebellum to allow room for the brainswelling.  Anyone else have this done?  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

lmurray69

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 02:20:50 pm »
 I thank you for replying everyone.I know that some times we read things on this sight, but I didnt mean to alarm anyone and sorry if i did..Just read it under things that could happen...
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 08:49:59 am »
Not everyone gets a shunt, but I did get one after some severe post-op brain swelling. I think the main purpose of a shunt is to relieve pressure from brain swelling.

reg

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 11:03:33 am »
i have a shunt in now i was also told i had brain swelling and had to have my cerebullum cut to relieve pressure i thought i was the only one who experienced this its good (unfortunately) to know someone who knows what iam talking about. question do you have severe balance issues? will whats cut ever grow back? does rest of cerebullum compesate for lost? reg
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 01:36:40 pm »
My tumor was so big it caused massive fluid build-up that compounded already compromised balance problems—hydrocephalus. I had to have a shunt installed one month before the tumor resection. The shunt is still there and will remain the rest of my life.

But no, most people with Acoustic Neuroma do not have to deal with a shunt.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 04:35:53 pm »
My neurosurgeon told me that when he 'opened up' my skull, the CSF, apparently under much pressure, literally 'gushed out'.  However, I never required a shunt and did not experience any post-op CSF leaks. 

I think we have to keep in mind that, for better or worse, one AN patient's experience is not necessarily the 'norm' for every other AN patient.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 01:14:17 pm »
I forgot to mention that my shunt is in there for the rest of my life, even though I don't need it anymore. I think that as a rule shunts are left in the body because taking them out is too invasive and too much of a risk, especially when they involve the brain.

I have a cousin that had one installed as an infant with hydrocephalus. It's still there. She's a perfectly healthy and normal adult today in her forties.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.