General Category > AN Issues

Working with general public

(1/2) > >>

feline:
I feel like I should have cards made that I can hand out to people so they know what I had and why I look like I do it's so hard to answer them when a client I have not seen in awhile says what happen to ur mouth?  I work in a veterinary hospital and it has been difficult dealing with this does anyone have any advice. Thank you
Feline

arizonajack:
Use the classic response:

"You writin' a book? Make it a mystery."

;D

alabamajane:
On a more serious note,,Jack,,,,,,,,,

I have facial paralysis also after surgery over three up years ago.. I am "lucky" that I am retired and no longer work in public as once,,,,but when I'm out I see how people react and its hard sometimes because you know they want to ask.... If I'm asked I simply say I had a brain tumor. If they are really interested they will ask particulars,, if not ,, I leave it at that...I don't have to explain it away,,, I am what I am now..BUT I know where you are coming from that you KNOW everyone that you encounter "knows" something's "wrong" ,,,I would say,,, try to encounter others as if you are comfortable with it and don't think you have to explain it,, let them ask,, and TRY to be comfortable with your face and go forward with encounters with self esteem and acceptance of YOU as who you are now,,, it's easy for me to say now that I'm retired,,, I think I would have had a VERY hard time working with public,, as Postmaster, encountering face to face all day long ,, I admire you and KNOW you will find your way to an acceptable answer,,, BESIDES " writing a book ??"""  ::) >:D ( Jack!) :(
Just my two cents,,,  ;)Jane

lorigasper:
Hi Feline -

I feel your pain.  I'm a public school teacher and there was quite a stir when I returned to work with my eye sewn shut and half of my face on vacation.  I will say, I just shared that I'd had a brain tumor removed that, thankfully, was benign.  I ended up with a facial nerve that was annoyed, but that I was really glad that I was able to return to the work I love.  I was hopeful that, in time, I'd have my face back to functioning more typically.  I was amazed at how short the time was before folks got used to the new me and just carried on as usual - even the parents that I don't see often.  My guess is that your patients' families will do the same....and the animals won't care at all!  Give them time and appreciate their concern.  It will become less important over time and I think you'll find that encouraging.  I wish you well.....and healing.

Lori

NYLady:
Hello Feline,

It's truly amazing how insensitive people can be....but this is the world we live in.

I do not have facial symptoms in connection with my AN, and I can only imagine how it must make you feel.  The only thing I can say is that I think you have to find a level of comfort within yourself and face people with courage and confidence.  Coming from a more confident place, you will, at some point be able to handle the remarks made by thoughtless people.  In a group setting, you could probably tell your story and that would work, but for the one on ones it is a little more difficult.  Do you feel you really owe an explanation, or would "Why whatever do you mean...what made you ask me such a question?" work for you.  I think the uncomfortable feeling should be placed right back on the clod that asked the question.  You will find your own way that works for you.   Another layer on the complex issue of ANs and how they affect our lives. Stay strong.

Very best to you...and continued healing.

NYL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version