Author Topic: hello from europe  (Read 3198 times)

hasovschib

hello from europe
« on: March 02, 2015, 04:42:24 am »
Hello guys, i've just made an account here after just reading posts, very helpful forum. i was wondering if some of you could answer me some questions. Feel free to reply. Thank you. Hopefully my eanglish is not to bad
In a 27 year old guy and i just got a AN removed (1.5 0.7 0.7) they used retrosigmodian. The intervention went pretty smooth but there are some issues that are giving me cause for concern.
The doc said they will pass but i was hoping for some advice from actual patients.

I have have terrible tinnitus on the side that the AN used to be (especially after i flush the toilet or hear something  bit loud). and i dont think i cant hear nothing (nothing usefull at least)
The doctor said that he didnt damage the nerve and we have to give it  a few months and then make an audiogram (i keep snapping my fingers and i can hear them somewhat but maybe thats my god ear picking up the sound) . My first question is :
Will this tinnitus go away after a while? and if it does could  hear a little better once the ringing calms down?

My an was still in the ear canal and i guess when they took it out they messed up my vestibular nerve and i have terrible coordonation problems (and little dizzy i guess, the room is not spinning with me but still)
How did you guys deal with this(if you had this problem)?
Other issues:
ear pain and fulnes, head pressure, pain around the scar, neck pain, eye is a bit dry but they gave me a gel and hopefully this will pass. But my biggest issues by far are the tinnitus and the balance problems.

Any advice, kind words and every replied would mean a lot of difference to me on my way to recovery. Even sitting here and writing this makes me feel beter.
Thanks for reading this novel

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
Re: hello from europe
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 11:23:00 am »
Hello:

Your English is fine and please don't hesitate from writing on this forum.

I too have had a hard time with the balance and dizziness since the surgery.  This week I found out why and I was given specialized therapies to combat it.  I have facial paralysis on the right side, and my inner ear and vestibular (balance) nerve was removed.  After a couple hours of testing, it was discovered that my good nerve is not compensating for my missing right-sided nerve at all, and my bad eye is not getting the any messages where to look, so when I try to look right my bad eye looks left first and then right.  This is what has been causing me to be so dizzy. 

I have been walking and active since my surgery, which should have started the healthy nerve to compensate for the missing nerve.  But since it hasn't they gave me specific exercises to jump-start it.  If anyone wants a copy, I'll be glad to email it to them.  I know it is just what I need.  I was told in three weeks I'll be a lot better.  Others on this forum have said you can find vestibular therapies on You Tube.  Also, ask your surgeons, I waited too long to see them again.

I don't think the tinnitus goes away, but I think we learn what aggravates it and I think we learn how to accept it and minimize its intrusiveness.

Any neck and shoulder pain has gotten much better.  Ibuprofen PM has been the answer for me, because it hurts more at night when I'm in bed.

2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

hasovschib

Re: hello from europe
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 12:09:26 pm »
thanks for writing , i was prepared for the worst before the surgery but no one told me about the balance problems. Man they suck, i can live with the tinnitus and the ssd no prob, but this balance sucks big time.... i cant work i can't do nothin.
Hope it will go away, i walk as much as i can an i do some exercises from youtube, they don't seem to work. Maybe i need to just keep at it, and i will contact the surgeon and see what he has to say
My email  is ...... Would you kindly send those exercises to me?
Thank you.

Note:  For your protection/privacy I have removed your email address from this post.  You may use the private messaging system to send your email to her.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:42:24 am by hasovschib »