General Category > AN Issues

balance and tinnitus relief with earwax removal

(1/1)

NYLady:
Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of my six month post Gamma Knife review.  Went for hearing test and in connection with that, impacted earwax removed from both ears.  Dr. asked if I felt plugged up and I did not.  Well, you should see the two plugs he removed!  Although I felt embarrassed, he told me it happens, it is not a matter of hygiene and because I wear hearing aids, it pushes the wax deeper into the canal.

Went for the hearing test.  That, was not good.  The hearing in my AN ear has deteriorated markedly since GK.  No word recognition at all and dramatic decline in volume (not really a surprise)  I expected to lose the hearing in this ear as the surgeon and ENT both told me prior to treatment it would most likely happen.  Tumour just about into the cochlea which does not like radiation.

However, something really good happened as a result of this visit.  I do hear  better in my other ear and my balance difficulty seems greatly diminished now that the wax is removed.   There is also a decrease in my tinnitus.  I don't want to say this is a usual result of having impacted earwax removed, but I think it sure is worth consideration for any other people who are experiencing these difficulties.
Maybe if you have not had your ears checked for impacted wax, you should.  I really hope this suggestion helps at least one other person.  I have been encouraged by the positive change in the hope that hearing aids (perhaps bicros) will be able to help my hearing. 

Wishing continued healing  to all with  best wishes.

NYL

SueLL:
Thank you for the post!  I have my 6 month post GK hearing visit next week and will keep your suggestion in mind.  I, too, have experienced pronounced hearing loss since GK as my tumor has swelled into the auditory canal.  I need all the hearing I can get from the good side!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version