Author Topic: personal milestone  (Read 3432 times)

ewhitese

personal milestone
« on: January 31, 2015, 10:59:19 pm »
Some Good news for a change ;D I am one year six months post GK surgery, AN on my right side.  I have had my share of post operative side effects or issues such as hearing loss, balance problems, vertigo, headaches.  All but the hearing have begun to resolve themselves.  Today I accomplished a goal I set for myself three years ago.  I spent the day on the ski slope.  August of this year if someone had told me I would be back on skis by this winter I would have called them crazy.  Just this summer as I struggled to put one foot in front of the other with out falling over and walk down the driveway I thought my skiing and other balance requiring activities were over.

I didn't go all out but tested the envelope a bit, as a former member of the need for speed club I spent the day on beginner and intermediate slopes just to test the water sort of speak.  I'm a former triple black diamond trail adventurer, for those who don't know ski slopes those are the trails that show no mercy.  As the day went I pushed the speed and hit the slalom turns hard to see if I still had it.  I'm a little week in the knees and out of shape but handled the mechanics of turning and negotiated terrain with no trouble.  Ok I am 55 years old so it probably is time to hang up my flying shoes and slow it down anyway.  I guess we need to grow up sometime.  But the fact is I skied today.  Not bad for someone who had brain surgery a year and a half ago.

I encourage everyone in watch and wait to consider Gamma Knife, Cyber knife surgery in their treatment options.  I know not all AN's are candidates for the procedure but it worked well for me.  It is very easy to look in than it is to look out of the physically disabling effects our AN has on us as it changes us and manipulates our lives.  But we can overcome a lot of them, maybe not all but a lot.

Time... a factor that none of us is willing to sacrifice is the best medicine for all things AN.  I now realize that I have been on the short list for recovery all along.  Sure doesn't feel that way when your in the thick of it (symptomatic phase).  I am grateful for the encouragement sent my way in this forum as I traveled the path of recovery.  Sure I have lost my hearing in my right ear but that is hardly stopping me from doing the things I set my mind to.  In my depression phase as I focused on the things I was loosing I lost sight of the things I still had.  I began to prepare for the worst of the worst instead of building on what I still had.

Good luck to all, for those in the thick of it my prayers go out to you.  Take heart in knowing that with effort and perseverance recovery is attainable.  Concentrate on the things you can positively effect now and the others will follow.  One step at a time, don't expect everything to fix itself over night and don't be afraid of the work that is necessary to rebuild yourself.  You won't be the same but you will be functional and able to enjoy life again, I promise.   

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
Re: personal milestone
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 01:07:36 am »
What a great message,thank you!
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

ANGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 07:18:13 am »
Wonderful!

As a presumably life long athlete, you know the personal satisfaction that comes from exceeding your expectations, your own personal goals.  There is a life skill that is learned in sports, by those willing to learn, through competition.  You learn that you could be better than 99% of your peers and think you are great, then find someone who is twice as good as you!  All of this teaches you to be humble, yet also be proud.  It gives you an inner strength to deal with adversity, such as getting trounced by a competitor despite that you are doing your best, and be able to go out there next week.  "Quitters never win, and winners never quit."

As for the 55 thing, yeah, a lot of the limitations we feel are likely due to age as much as the AN.  At 47, I ain't the man I used to be in terms of athletics.  Just remember, youthful exuberance is no match for old age and treachery.  If you are finding it hard to keep up with a younger skier, cheat! ;D
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Jill Marie

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 09:55:36 pm »
Loved the post, will really help those just starting there journey.  Wow what a major accomplishment for you in such a short amount of time.  I had never gone skiing before my surgery, hubby and boys love it.  Thanks to the tumor I made goals for myself I never would have made.  Went skiing New Year's Day years ago, turned out to be a once in a lifetime adventure, as in I will never do it again.  I got a head of myself and went for the big kids run and should have stayed on the bunny slope.  I crashed really bad, didn't break anything but boy was I sore.  I can see why people love it, but it's not for me.  I'm really glad I did it though!  Sure hope you get the chance to do more skiing before the warm weather hits!  Let us know how you do, love reading posts like yours.  Jill Marie 8)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.