Author Topic: Friedman in L.A.  (Read 4351 times)

madonal1

Friedman in L.A.
« on: January 31, 2015, 11:13:47 am »
I am planning to go to Dr. Friedman in Los Angeles and have talked to him a few times, very nice guy. My question is when Iget home if there is a complication where would I go for help since I live in the south east?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Friedman in L.A.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 12:34:22 pm »
Hi madonal1 .....

I flew across the United States to Dr. Friedman for my surgery in 2011.  One of my first questions to him before making arrangements to go out there was "What do I do if I experience a complication after returning home?"  You should ask him the same thing.

His answer to me was he requires his patients to stay in the LA area for a minimum of 10 days post-op (I stayed 13 days) because the vast majority of complications, if they are to occur, happen within the first few days following surgery.  Then, if the very rare instance were to occur with something happening upon returning home, he would put me in touch with a local physician who could give whatever assistance might be needed.

Dr. Friedman is well-known throughout the United States in the AN world, so he has a vast network of contacts.

Thankfully, I had no complications post-op, but I always felt reassured that help would be there if I needed it.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 02:32:06 pm »
I know my biggest regret is that I was unable to see my surgeons after I was discharged because I live so far away.  If I had to do it again, I would have stayed near my medical team for a couple of weeks after discharge.  I bet I would be on a better recovery track if I had done so.

2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

v357139

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 09:51:53 pm »
I also flew to CA.  I went to the House Clinic and had a great result.  The biggest thing that might need doctor intervention afterward is a CSF leak.  So they keep you there for a week to 10 days to make sure you are in the clear for that.  Since you have this concern, I would ask Friedman what you would do in that case.  I made sure my doctors agreed that they would refer me to a local doctor if I needed if I got home.  I have had no problems, and I am very glad I flew out there for the surgery.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

madonal1

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 08:54:01 am »
Thanks I am confident in my decision to go to CA, I will stay there 10 days after surgery. I have an ear surgeon hear that might be able to help I will have to ask him.

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 05:24:42 pm »
That's great that you can stay ten days after surgery.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  You are doing the best you can for your health and that is the best path to take.  We'll all be thinking of you!

2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

v357139

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 09:31:18 pm »
Friedman has many who can attest to him on this site.  You are in great hands.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!