General Category > AN Issues

Triggers for increasing Tinnitus

(1/1)

mac84:
Since I've only been dealing with my AN since Oct 2014 I'm learning more every day about tinnitus, facial tingling, etc.

Seems my tinnitus ramps up at times and then on some days the burning/tingling on that side of my mouth is worse as well.  I would assume that this doesn't necessarily mean that the AN is in a 'growth mode' but over the years have any of you learned what can trigger the tinnitus or other symptoms to get worse?

Thanks! Still in the WW mode until next MRI in April.

CHD63:
Hi mac84 .....

You will probably see a variety of "triggers" for tinnitus on this forum.

Since this is the single worst aftermath of my AN, I also joined the American Tinnitus Association ( http://www.ata.org/ ) to keep abreast of any new developments in treatment.

For me, the biggest trigger is loud noise (like in a restaurant with loud music and loud conversation).  Secondly, when I drink too much coffee it cranks up.  Thirdly, when I am stressed and/or overly tired, it also is louder.  Most of these things I can minimize by the choices I make.

I also use a sound machine (with the sounds of a babbling brook), with under pillow speakers at night.  This helps me focus away from the noise in my head when trying to go to sleep when all is quiet.

I am not holding out hope for a cure since tinnitus is a brain perception thing and everyone has a unique brain.

Just my thoughts .....

Clarice

mac84:
Thanks Clarice....I suspected the Coffee and Stress parts.....I can pinpoint that over the last few days, more stress and more caffeine.

Anyone notice the face numbness/tingling that comes and goes?

Echo:
Hi Mac84

Like Clarice I have also found exposure to loud noise and caffeine are my triggers.  Stress or being over tired can also play a part in increased tinnitus for me.

Prior to having Gamma Knife treatment I did experience some transient numbness on the very corner of my mouth and on the tip of my tongue.  I periodically felt a tremor run up the side of my face from my jaw bone to just below my eye whenever I would sneeze.  I could not associate any triggers for these symptoms, but my AN was definitely growing.  Roughly 3 or 4 months post GK I realized the numbness on my mouth and tongue was gone along with the weird tremors.  I can happily say they have not returned.

Cathie

Juniorjack:
Hello Mac84
I am 63 years old.  My AN tumor was identified in a 11/2013 MRI.  I had Cyberknife radiation treatment in 1/2014.  Since then, I have lost more hearing, have had no improvement in tinnitus and have vertigo issues.  I purchased a hearing aid with a tinnitus management system in it that provides some relief.  I have found however that my tinnitus increases to incredibly load roars and whirls for no reason at all.  I can drive with no radio alone in my car on a peaceful drive and all of a sudden, the tinnitus increases to the max.  I could walk up stairs at work and it would start roaring.  The tinnitus is intense from any form of exercise.   The tinnitus drained energy from me to a point that my work production slowed to a level where I was effectively forced to retire two weeks ago.  I admit the tinnitus can drive me goofy at times because it never goes away.  I do daily exercises designed to reduce vertigo.  My plan is to identify what the best I can be is.

d***

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version