Author Topic: ABR Bad, Hearing Pretty Good  (Read 2677 times)

ANGuy

ABR Bad, Hearing Pretty Good
« on: January 27, 2015, 04:31:26 pm »
I just had my first ABR.  In addition to the "click" ABR, I was given a CHIRP ABR as part of some type of trial for a new ABR method.  I was asked to participate and since the CHIRP part of the test required absolutley zero in terms of effort or resources on my part, I agreed.  The CHIRP info is a side issue to my main point, but I thought I would just point it out since it may be of some interest to the members.  Apparently a manufacturer has developed a new version of the ABR and it is being tested to compare the results to the standard ABR.  From what they told me, Duke is the only place doing this study and I am one of 25 participants.  I can't give any more info in terms of technical details because I ignorant in that regard.  Like I said, the CHIRP part of the test was no different in terms of what I had to do.  I just laid there while various sounds buzzed in my ear plugs and I had a half dozen leads pasted to my head. 

Anywhoo, back to the main point of my post.  My hearing on my AN side is not bad.  It fluctautes between "pretty darn good" and "could be better" ;D  On one occasion, for about a week, it was just about useless, but it came back to pretty darn good.  Today was my first ABR and the Doc said it was pretty bad.  My acoustic nerve is just about useless and he figures that if I get surgery I have two chances of preserving my hearing, slim and none.  I am not surprised at his prognosis of almost certain SSD,  but I was surprised about the nerve being in such bad shape and my hearing working so well.

The Doc doesn't think my watch and wait strategy will hold up, although he thinks it's a good idea for now.  He sees translab in my future in his crystal ball.

I didn't get the specific ABR info at the visit.  His opinion of "bad" was good enough for the purposes of our discussion.  I figure the report will show up on my online patient portal.  When it does I'll post the info in it.

He also moved my 1 year follow up MRI from Dec 2015 (one year from my recent MRI) to July 2015 (one year from my first MRI). 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:34:34 pm by ANGuy »
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

PaulW

Re: ABR Bad, Hearing Pretty Good
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 06:34:04 am »
My ABR was bad, my hearing was OK.. I had cyberknife... 4.5 years later and my hearing is not a lot different from when I was diagnosed. I have lost some high frequencies... My word discrimination is still 100%
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

ANGuy

Re: ABR Bad, Hearing Pretty Good
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 09:13:59 am »
Thanks!  I'm glad your hearing worked out.  Mine seems about like yours, some HF loss and ">96%" word recognition.  I have the HF loss about the same in both ears, so that is likely due to noise exposure of which I have had some.  The word recog is the same in both which seems to be the highest the test rates.  I have a little low frequency loss in the AN ear which is due to the tumor, but not so I would notice it.  My AN ear's hearing, when it comes to music etc, is kind of like an old clock radio whereas my "good" ear is like a quality stereo.

I wonder if my Doc places too much value in the ABR test, or if you are a rare exception and he is basing it on his experience backing up the ABR?
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.