General Category > AN Issues

GK vs CK vs Surgery

(1/1)

varun_bansal90:
Hello All

Please review my Acoustic Neuroma case as below and advice if Gamma Knife or CyberKnife will work in this case. Summary of the MRI Report :

Right CP Angle Cystic Schwannoma (Acoustic Neuroma)
Size : 33x30x23 mm  :-[
Patient Age : 24 Years
15-20% Hearing Left in Right Ear (Wants to be preserved if possible)

I have read much about Gamma Knife and Cyber Knife which have proved to be of excellence and minimal failure rate and damage to facial nerve. How can I be 100% sure to go for this radio treatment instead of the complicated surgery.

1. If i goto neurosurgeon they say surgery is required.
2. If i goto GK expert they say it can be dealt with GK easily.

Who to go with ? Whom to believe ? I have really less time to decide looking at the tumor size  :-X

arizonajack:
Try to find a facility that does both.

I consulted with a neurosurgeon at House where they sell surgery and was also told surgery was recommended.

I was fortunate enough to live in Phoenix where the Barrow Neurological Institute is. Their acoustic neuroma department does both surgery and GK.

http://www.thebarrow.org/Neurological_Services/Brain_Tumor_Center/Acoustic_Neuromas/index.htm

I was leaning toward GK because I was already totally deaf on the AN side (small tumor) and at my age (68) the thought of brain surgery didn't sit too well.

I had a consultation with the neurosurgeon regarding the pros and cons of both alternatives and he agreed that GK was viable.

I had GK two years ago and, other than the Single Sided Deafness, I've been relatively symptom free.

You don't say where you are but Barrow has a Second Opinion program where you can provide your records and MRI results and have them reviewed for $100.

https://www.thebarrow.org/Neurological_Services/2nd_Opinion_Program/index.htm

If you want to do that I suggest asking that Dr Randall Porter handle it if possible. He is my neurosurgeon and he's very good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version