Author Topic: Getting the Eyelid Implant: Tuck the lower eyelid or not?  (Read 5953 times)

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
Getting the Eyelid Implant: Tuck the lower eyelid or not?
« on: January 24, 2015, 11:57:35 am »
Hi All:

I'm so excited because I'm going to get an eyelid weight on February 9.  However, I have a question for all of you:  The surgeon said my eye would close better if he does a tiny tightening of the lower lid because of the droop.  However, I'm wondering if it will be a bother if my facial nerve heals someday.  Does anyone have any input for me?

For anyone like me that didn't know how one was fitted for a weight, my surgeon stuck three different weights on the outside of my eyelid and let me hang-out for several minutes with the one I felt the most comfortable with, which was a 1.2 weight.  My husband said that my eye closed about 80% when I blinked--it felt great!  I can't wait to stop wearing my ugly eye patch I made with folded-up piece of cotton and a headband--either can my husband! 

Thank you Eye Issues comrades.
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

alabamajane

Re: Getting the Eyelid Implant: Tuck the lower eyelid or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 03:52:11 pm »
Hi,
I can't speak  to getting the tiny stitch in the lower lid as I did not have that done. I did, however, get the same size eyelid weight not long after my AN surgery three years ago. I only kept it in for one year before I was able to have enough closure to have it removed. It was particularly helpful at night while lying down.

I have facial paralysis due to facial nerve being severed during surgery. I did have the 12/7 nerve graft 4 days after AN surgery to enable face to regain some movement. I will say that it takes the nerve 12-18 months to begin healing so patience is key to this whole process. I started seeing slight movements at about 6 months.

Be sure to keep plenty  of lubricant eye drops on hand and I found ointment at night helpful. I did not have complete closure either so eye care was of utmost importance.

Not being in the medical field, I don't know how or if the stitching would affect the nerve or regaining the movement ,,, I just know I didn't get it nor feel I needed it for comfort of eye.. Just having my eye close as much as it did was a big relief as you expect.
Good luck to you and let us know how it goes for you! You will feel much better I am sure.

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 05:28:26 pm »
Thanks Jane for sharing your experience.  I am leaning toward just having the weight implant, so your story helps me with my decision.  The "try-on" weight felt so good I was high all day!  I am reluctant to have the lower lid stitch because I want to give the nerves time to heal.  I had very respected surgeons who have a very high rate of success with the return of the facial nerve, so I'm willing to wait. 

Thanks again.

Michelle
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 06:15:23 pm »
I realized that I have rarely looked into the mirror after my surgery because of the facial paralysis I guess.  Well, I took a good look the other day and I changed my mind and I'm definitely getting the lower eyelid stitches.  I need it badly and I need it now, and if I'm living one day at a time, why am I worried about tomorrow?

feline

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 09:25:48 pm »
I am not familiar with the lower eyelid stitch what or how does that help with the eye closing? I am going in on Monday to have a permanent temporary taroplasty done - suturing of the eyelids -closing the eye half way. Has anyone had this done and it did it go would u recommend it?
Feline-Tina
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 11:11:08 am »
Hi Feline:

I don't know anything about the procedure you are having done.  I'm having a 1.2 gold eyelid weight implanted, but because I have severe right-sided drooping of everything, my lower eyelid droop is pronounced and my eye doesn't not close even with a heavier weight.  The surgeon said he would like to do a tiny stitch to tighten up the lower lid so that my eye will close better.  The stick-on weight sample felt so good I can't wait to get it.  I wear my homemade eye patch everyday, because even the ointment isn't working well for me anymore.

Best of luck!  Keep me posted on your success.

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 11:39:59 pm »
Feline:

Did you have the eyelid suturing done yesterday?

Mimispree

feline

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 06:36:43 pm »
Yes I did and it went very well under IV sedation
Feline
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise