General Category > AN Issues

AN and age

(1/1)

marthawd:
I would very much like to hear about the post-treatment experiences of people who are seniors. I am 70 and choosing a treatment plan. I wonder, if I can anticipate a 2 year recovery period, if I will make it through! I always wanted it to make it to 70 in good health. Be careful what you wish for! My healthy past has not prepared me for an unhealthy future.

CHD63:
Hi mmwdaniel and welcome to this discussion forum .....

Hearing the diagnosis of an acoustic neuroma at any age is daunting.  That being said, I can fully understand how you feel after having a healthy life for 70 years and be hit with this diagnosis.

First of all, how big is your AN and is your doctor recommending treatment for it?  Typically ANs are very slow growing (or not growing) and often patients can wait and watch for a considerable amount of time before needing treatment.

Tell us a little bit more about your situation.  Hearing loss??

Thoughts and prayers for peace.

Clarice

NYLady:
I wI was diagnosed at 72.  Had second MRI six months later and the AN had grown at a rate the surgeon felt was higher than he was comfortable with.  Had Gamma Knife treatment about 6 months after second MRI and AN was a bit larger by then.  I think for people our age, in many cases the ANs do not grow and this is what they look for in the way of whether to treat them or not.  Another factor would be how many symptoms you have and if it is interfering with your quality of life.  In my case, I was having balance problems, minimal tinnitus and pretty extensive hearing loss in the AN ear.  Also, my hearing in the "good" ear was not great either.  I am now 6 months out from Gamma Knife.  The first three months, I felt fantastic...no balance issues, mild tinnitus and of course the hearing loss, which appeared to be about the same.  At about four and a half months, I began to experience balance issues which seem to be progressive.  Hearing has deteriorated (as expected in the AN ear) and also is a bit worse in my "good" ear, which I am sure is not due to treatment.  From what I have been reading, this could be due to swelling after GK and hopefully will taper off.  I am not sure whether or not the worsening symptoms can be expected to diminish, or remain as they are.  Hopefully, they will not get any worse.  Tough diagnosis to get at any age, but when we have a few years on us, it seems like we really dont have the patience to wait for positive results that take a long time.  However, what is the alternative.  To do nothing.....fine, as long as it isnt growing rapidly or causing major symptoms.  Surgery....it was not what I wanted or chose to do.  Radiation, while a bit scary, seemed for me, to be a good treatment, without being too invasive and with a good chance for good results.  I am not sorry I had Gamma Knife. Have to keep remembering that the goal here was to stop or limit the growth.  Once again, not sure what happens with these increasing symptoms, if they remain at the current level, get worse or lessen with the halt of growth and possible death of the AN.  The AN in either case will still be there, even if it is no longer growing, so I guess that, in itself will result in some degree of symptoms because it still will put pressure on nerves affected.  Its a lot to absorb my friend, but at 70 and over, we have learned that with courage and a good and positive attitude, we can adapt and deal with what life sends to  us.  All of us will have a different kind of experience which is dependent on so many variables.  I try to keep on keeping on like always and push through the symptoms to do the things I always have done.  Some days, its easier than others.  I will have my six month MRI and consult in the next few weeks and I am sure my questions and concerns will be addressed by my wonderful surgeon.  Doctors, no matter how great they may be, cannot give us guarantees of future results, its just how medicine is.  I hope when I see him, I will learn that what I am experiencing is within normal limits for this type of situation.  That will go a long way to keeping me positive and hopeful that things will get somewhat better and turn out the best way it can for me. My best to you.  Good luck.

NYL

Echo:
Welcome mmwdaniel,

At 60 I guess I qualify as a younger senior, so I'll toss in my personal thoughts.  Depending on the size of your AN and your symptoms, if treatment is recommended, I would strongly suggest looking into Gamma Knife or Cyber Knife.   Yes you can expect a two or three year recovery period - but all going well, it should not slow you down to much. Some symptoms may go away permanently and others may remain, but that falls true for surgery as well.  Some folks have a complete recovery from either treatment.  It's a very individual thing.  Overall I think you will find that radiation is frequently recommended for those of us who are older because it is less invasive than microsurgery and on average the risk of complications are fewer. 

I had Gamma Knife 16 months ago and continue to work in business every day.  All my pre and post treatment issues have been completely manageable.   I did have a very rough period at the 6 - 12 month post treatment timeline, but I was still able to function and continue working. 

Cathie

arizonajack:
I was 65 when my AN manifested itself. I'm 68 now and yesterday (1/22) was my two year Gamma Knife anniversary.

My post GK experience has been relatively uneventful. I'm still deaf in that ear but my balance issues were largely resolved shortly after GK and I have very mild tinnitus that's almost imperceptible and easily ignored.

I was initially on watch and wait for 6 months between MRIs and the tumor grew 20%. I decided on GK because the tumor was small, the hearing was already gone, and I wasn't about to have invasive brain surgery at my age.

Some people have fairly rapid recovery, some take a couple of years. There's really no way to predict.

The choice of treatment depends on the size of the tumor, symptoms, age, and other personal factors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version