General Category > AN Issues

Excellent essay in The Guardian by an AN sufferer

(1/4) > >>

Trent in WA:
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but this seemed like the best place for it. The Guardian published an essay by an AN patient due for surgery in a few days. Here's the link:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/12/my-brain-tumour-acoustic-neuroma

It's a good, thoughtful, and funny piece.

Trent

MDemisay:
Dear Trent,

To be brief, I agree with your summary! Succinct and to the point.....refreshing must- read for newbies and Watch and Waits!

Mike

ANGuy:
I couldn't get through more than a couple of paragraphs.  Her writing is tedious and she comes across as vapid.  I'm big on sarcasm, and tried to attribute some of the things she prattled about to being sarcasm and inside whit particular to the UK and somehow I just didn't understand her, but I soon realized she just was too disjointed to follow.

My comment regarding her self-absorption is in regard to her going on and on about her daily life.  Her life is just not interesting to anyone other than her, at least not me.  I've met enough people who actually are interesting to be able to tell the difference. 

keithmac:
I'm a Brit in AZ for the winter.

I enjoyed the piece by (presumably) a Brit writing about how stuff is in the UK.  I like the forums of ANA - it knocks those of BANA (UK) into a cocked hat but much that's written here doesn't apply to the UK. 

The acoustic neuromas do though - they don't recognise international boundaries so I read what folk say and take what I can from them and relate it to what I know about our 'National Health Service' in the UK.  And the way people react has nothing to do which side of the 'big pond' we live.  That's down to raw emotion.

I enjoyed the article thoroughly.  If I ever find myself in a similar position I hope I'll be able to express myself as well as that writer but really I'm dreaming that I'll die of old age with my a.n. no more a problem than it is today.

Jill Marie:
I too liked reading the article.  It's not about how her life is interesting to others, it's about how she is dealing with having an AN.  It's been 22 years since my surgery yet I still can clearly recall thinking a lot of the same things she did before surgery.  She unlike I, took time out to appreciate the good things in her life and write about it, the small everyday things we often take for granted.  I came to appreciate them a whole lot more after the surgery and continue to do so.  Thanks for sharing the article, Jill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version