Author Topic: Synkinesis Excersises  (Read 5752 times)

dfoxhoven

Synkinesis Excersises
« on: December 21, 2014, 05:33:05 pm »
So I'm almost 3 years post op (March 2015 will be 3 years), and I've started seeing a Facial Therapist to help with my synkinesis.  However, I'm struggling with the exercises as I realize it won't be easy and will take some time, but my fear is that if I just continue to do my exercises and do them incorrectly, that I will only be contributing to the synkinesis and not helping it.  Does anyone have any suggestions...I often feel that trying to relax muscles that I have no control over is like trying to make myself levitate...I get it takes a lot of focus...but I feel like no matter how much focus...I just can't get them to relax.  Any input or feedback is greatly appreciated.

PamJ

Re: Synkinesis Excersises
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 12:16:48 pm »
Hi I'm 4 years post op in March and I also have synkinesis I have Botox every 4 months and it's really helping.
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

Kristena

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 01:25:55 pm »
It’s such a fine line between wanting to Botox it all away and trying to gain some permanent control over the movements. I am 18 mos post-surgery. I got some Botox twice when the synkinesis started, and it was really nice except when my eye wouldn’t close fully again for a short time. I saw Jackie Diels in Sept, and she wanted me completely without the effects of Botox so she could really see what all was going on. I haven’t had it in 8 mos now, so this is the real me. It’s extremely hard, mental work trying to control movements you have absolutely no control over. Massage has been my friend much more than trying to separate facial movements. I just have to have faith that the very small, subtle improvements will eventually become larger and more automatic. And I do plan to get some more Botox after I see her again in January. So I’m sorry I don’t have better suggestions—just support and understanding!
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

PamJ

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 01:38:17 pm »
Kristina do you find your eye waters when you eat

Kristena

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 09:29:05 am »
No, but it waters when I sneeze!
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 04:19:41 pm »
This is the first time I'm hearing about Botox.  Does it help someone who has total paralysis?

Mimi
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

PamJ

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 04:28:57 pm »
I can only speak for myself but my face was totally paralysed for over 2 years and then I was offered Botox and very slowly i started seeing results, my face has improved about 60%

alabamajane

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 01:10:54 pm »
I have been using Botox for almost a year around my eye. I get about 6 small injections 3 below eye and 3 on top lash line and outer most corner of eye. It helps with the synkenisis movements and twitching of eye when talking, eating etc. I have paralysis also and had the 12/7 nerve graft done three years ago. My face is more symmetrical with it, my eye stays open more widely and at rest I look "better",, (preferring not to say normal!!) . I have not had it on chin or anywhere but eye. I go to an ophthalmologist for treatment. But it has definitely helped.
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26