Author Topic: BAHA and a hearing aid  (Read 5361 times)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
BAHA and a hearing aid
« on: December 18, 2014, 12:20:58 pm »
No patulous eustachian tube, so I am trying a hearing aid in conjunction with my Cochlear BAHA. Yesterday I was fitted with a Resound Linx 9 hearing aid and it can best described as having blurry vision and then putting on glasses. I got teary eyed. It was night and day different. I can really HEAR...what a blessing!

The audiologist called Cochlear to upgrade my BAHA or switch me to a BAHA 4. It will be going through Medicare. The BAHA 4 is a wi-fi hearing device that can be controlled with most  Apple devices. You can get a transmitter for your TV from Cochlear that will wi-fi connect to the BAHA 4. The good news is the device is made by Resound. The Resound Linx is also controlled by Apple devices. You can stream sound directly into both units from most Apple devices, control the volume, tone...exciting stuff.

We are trying to find out if Resound is working with Cochlear so my Resound hearing aid can connect to the BAHA 4 to balance my hearing or if that is something coming in the near future. If it is in the works, I will wait to get a hearing aid until that happens.

The audiologist is going to have the Cochlear rep there when we set up the BAHA in conjunction with the hearing aid. Cochlear is handling all of the Medicare issues. I will keep you informed. This is really getting me excited.

James

james e

Re: BAHA and a hearing aid
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 10:23:14 am »
Talked with Cochlear yesterday and they are not working with Resound, so I am going to get my hearing aid after the Christmas holiday.

james e

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 01:03:15 pm »
Keeping you updated...Cochlear said Medicare will not allow me to update to a BAHA 4 until the 5th anniversary of receiving my BP100. This kind of jacked me up a little about Medicare. I paid for my first BAHA through private insurance when I had my AN surgery done. I was not on Medicare at the time. I am not updating a government issued BAHA. Cochlear rep said Medicare does not care how I got a BAHA, they will not allow an upgrade for 5 years. 

My Resound Linx 9 with WIFI will be here on Wednesday. It is similar to the BAHA 4. Both are WIFI and both are automatic. The most important part is the processor is fully automatic and it will eliminate sounds I should not hear...like noises in a loud building, but allow me to hear music without me changing channels. The BP100 is not automatic like the BAHA 4. Since both the Linx and BAHA 4 are automatic and that would be a benefit to me.

My BP100 volume is already set to its highest level, and needs to get cranked up a little higher, but the audiologist said I need to go to the BP110. She is going to try to get me updated that way. She said the BAHA 4 has the ability for more volume. I hope Uncle Sugar will allow that...government has no business being in medical insurance!

The Linx 9 is Resounds best hearing aid. My cost is $2500 for one ear.  Resound makes wireless accessories for the Linx. Cochlear buys these accessories from Resound for the BAHA 4 with the Cochlear logo on them. It includes a TV streamer, mini microphone, phone clip and a remote control. I ordered the remote control and it can control both the hearing aid and the BAHA 4. I'll keep you updated.

James

james e

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 12:18:56 pm »
My Resound  Linx is a great device. It is one of those hearing aids that hides behind your ear and has one of those wires that runs into your ear with a small speaker on the end. I cannot tell I have it on, except I can hear.

My BAHA needs to be reprogrammed to balance with my Linx but we are waiting to see if Medicare will allow for an upgrade.

How well can I hear? Yesterday I thought it might be raining because I thought I heard falling rain. Turned out it was the dishwasher and I could hear the water spraying inside. Later in the day, getting ready to leave the house, I heard an unfamiliar sound, so I checked it out. I was hearing some laundry flop around in the clothes dryer. It is wonderful to hear again.

I am the first patient my audiologist has with both a BAHA and a hearing aid, so she is in a learning stage. I am in a learning stage myself. There is no benchmark for me to compare my new stage of hearing. Today is my third day, and my brain is still learning these new sounds.

Remember, a BAHA allows you to hear on your deaf side, but it will not correct your good ear. So, if you are in your senior years, I am proof that that a hearing aid with a BAHA will improve your life.

James

james e

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 01:14:11 pm »
Today was my last appointment regarding my hearing aid. My audiologist ran some hearing tests in several ways: no hearing device, BAHA by itself, hearing aid by itself, BAHA and hearing aid together, and a nerve function test. She attached the tests, a letter from the ENT, a letter from her, and is sending the info to Cochlear. Cochlear will go to bat for me trying to get Medicare to cover this upgrade.

My Resound Linx 9 is a superior hearing device. Sound quality is top drawer. My BAHA is still functioning, however I need more gain for higher sound quality.

I will keep you updated.

James