Author Topic: Treatment in West Virginia  (Read 2613 times)

Janey

Treatment in West Virginia
« on: December 16, 2014, 10:46:24 pm »
I am wondering what informaion anyone could offer about treatment for acoustic neuroma in
Morgantown, WV with Dr Adam Cassis.  I am in the watch and wait status, diagnosed in November,
2014.  i am scheduled for another MRI in May, 2015. 

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Treatment in West Virginia
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 07:52:42 am »
Hi Janey .....

I, also, am from WV.  There are only a few AN patients from WV, who have registered on this discussion forum.  Although not possible to search that way, you might notice that many of us have gone out of state for treatment.

Dr. Cassis is relatively new to WV.  He came here about 18 months ago after he finished his fellowship at House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles.  He is well-trained but I know nothing about how many AN surgeries he has actually participated in since being at WVU.  He is an otolaryngologist and presumably works with a neurosurgeon at WVU.  That means the neurosurgeon needs to be equally well-trained in acoustic neuroma removals, as well.  Actually, when working in tandem, the neurosurgeon normally removes the actual tumor, while the otolaryngologist opens, takes it to the internal auditory canal, and then sometimes closes if they "tag team."  Each medical facility has its own protocol for this.

If you would like to talk, feel free to contact me via private message.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Janey

Re: Treatment in West Virginia
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 09:12:30 pm »
Thank you, Clarice, for your response.  While in the watch and wait group, I will be doing as much research as I can.  The support on this forum is invaluable!