Author Topic: W & W one year going for three  (Read 6497 times)

Rusty123

W & W one year going for three
« on: December 16, 2014, 03:29:07 pm »
Thought my situation may encourage others.  Diagnosed in Sept., 2013 with very small 4mm AN in left ear.  Second MRI in Sept., 2014 showed no growth.  Doc wants to schedule third MRI in two years.  So far, so good.  PTL!  Doc also said that at my age (don't you love it when doctors say things like that!) and considering the size and growth rate of the tumor, surgery is probably not in my future.  Possibly radiation at a later date if situation changes.  (I am 59).

I may also add that there are many people praying for me.  Shortly after I was diagnosed, my church family gathered around me and had a time of prayer for my condition.  Even though some may dismiss or scoff at that, I don't want to discount the power of prayer.

ANGuy

Re: W & W one year going for three
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 04:04:24 pm »
I was diagnosed six months ago, but in hindsight, based on symptoms, I've had it for at least 8 years.  So I'm 7.5 years waiting without the watching ;D

I go for my 6 month MRI tomorrow.  This will be be second MRI overall.  My goal is to make it ten years WW.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Sheryl

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 06:26:29 pm »
Glad to hear that W&W is working.  I've just hit year #13.  I remember first hearing the diagnosis and thinking miserable, scary thoughts. 
Good luck,
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

ANGuy

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 07:23:25 pm »
My MRI today showed no growth and I was told to come back in one year for the next one.  My Dr strongly believes I should continue with observation for now, which is exactly what I wanted to hear.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Sheryl

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 09:50:28 am »
ANGuy - thanks for letting us know.  Hope the good news continue from MRI to MRI.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

ANGuy

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 10:04:40 pm »
Thanks for the kind thoughts Sheryl

minerva1221

• AN posts on My Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 11:09:27 am »
My MRI today showed no growth and I was told to come back in one year for the next one.  My Dr strongly believes I should continue with observation for now, which is exactly what I wanted to hear.
Excellent news!  Congrats...what a wonderful Christmas present!   :D
Mid 2013:  high-frequency hearing loss, tinnitus, vertigo/balance issues, fullness in ear
Aug 2014 (age 39):  diagnosed with 4mm x 6mm x 8mm AN
Nov 25, 2014:  Middle Fossa Surgery at UTSW with Dr Kutz & Dr Mickey
 - 6 months post-op still battling fluctuating vision issues

minerva1221

• AN posts on My Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 11:10:46 am »
Thought my situation may encourage others.  Diagnosed in Sept., 2013 with very small 4mm AN in left ear.  Second MRI in Sept., 2014 showed no growth.  Doc wants to schedule third MRI in two years.  So far, so good.  PTL!  Doc also said that at my age (don't you love it when doctors say things like that!) and considering the size and growth rate of the tumor, surgery is probably not in my future.  Possibly radiation at a later date if situation changes.  (I am 59).

I may also add that there are many people praying for me.  Shortly after I was diagnosed, my church family gathered around me and had a time of prayer for my condition.  Even though some may dismiss or scoff at that, I don't want to discount the power of prayer.
Glad you've had such good news in W & W, Rusty.  Congrats...hope that trend continues!
Mid 2013:  high-frequency hearing loss, tinnitus, vertigo/balance issues, fullness in ear
Aug 2014 (age 39):  diagnosed with 4mm x 6mm x 8mm AN
Nov 25, 2014:  Middle Fossa Surgery at UTSW with Dr Kutz & Dr Mickey
 - 6 months post-op still battling fluctuating vision issues

ANGuy

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 12:51:17 pm »
Excellent news!  Congrats...what a wonderful Christmas present!   :D

Chanukah too! ;D

MG

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 01:47:11 pm »
Wow, that' awesome news! So happy for you all! I believe in prayer and so far mine has not grown any either. I am dealing with the pain everyday and my balance goes crazy sometimes but all in all it is not too bad. Let's all keep going! :)

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas !
MG (Cathy)

Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

rezski

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 08:21:36 pm »
I have been in watch and wait since 2005 and probably had symptoms for 10 years before which my doc said were my annual ear stuffiness/infection.  They always went away till 2005 when the symptoms didn't go away and I had the MRI which confirmed my diagnosis.  No growth since and I am now 67.  Has anyone else gone this long?
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW