Author Topic: Shoulder Pain & How Long Will Head Pressure Last?  (Read 4183 times)

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
Shoulder Pain & How Long Will Head Pressure Last?
« on: November 28, 2014, 07:03:12 pm »
Hello Everyone:

I am four-months post-op and about two weeks ago I developed very painful shoulders.  I am not doing anything to cause the pain.  I did a search for shoulder pain on this site, but didn't find much.  Am I nuts to think the shoulder pain is related to my surgery and Trigeminal Neuralgia?  I still have mega-head pressure, dizziness and my eye leaks fluid (especially when pressure is up; so daily by 3:30 p.m.).  I'm going to the doc on Tuesday after an MRI with contrast on Monday, but I don't rely on the docs to be forthcoming.  They weren't exactly forthcoming about the recovery.

Also, I was told I could probably go back to work in two months--HA!  I own a small wholesale bakery (Mimi's Escalante Bakery), and the way I feel today, there is no way I could go back to work day-after-day.  All it took was trying to cook a turkey dinner yesterday: It was ridiculously tough!

I am supposed to open a new retail location in March, but right now I'm not even sure if I can resume where I left off, let alone increase my workload.  There is a small voice in my head that says "Wait a year."  What do those of you who have been there think?

Your honest feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Mimi
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

Corilyn

Re: Shoulder Pain & How Long Will Head Pressure Last?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »
I am 2 years out and my pressure comes and goes.  With added stress it comes.  With fatigue it comes.  With chaos it comes.  It is combined with a great pulsing whooshing in my dead ear.  I also get shoulder pain in my left shoulder but it starts up at the base of my neck where my plate is.  I have always just attributed it to the pressure from the plate.  My plate actually bothers me a lot...being tender. 
Anyway, I stopped after a while telling the doctors my complaints because they are not receptive or forthcoming.  Please stick to your guns and continue to work with them and tell them.  It was a big disservice that I did to myself. 

toddchaney

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 02:26:23 am »
My personal experience suggests that you should opt for physical therapy to get rid of the pain. Discuss your problem and medical history with the doctor before the therapy.
OrthoTexas

trishy222

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 11:43:22 am »
Mimi, how did your appts go?

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 03:23:59 pm »
Hi Trishy222:

Thanks for asking.  I did see a new, closer neurosurgeon and I was given good news and bad news.  Good news:  My four-month MRI looked very good.  Bad news:  He told me I "...may not get any better than" I am now.  I thought maybe he was talking about my paralysis, but he said, "Everything, your dizziness and your paralysis." 

But I'm choosing not to let that statement in yet.  It hasn't even been six months.  I am moving forward as if all will be well.  I can live with the facial paralysis, but the dizziness is still really bad and I have accepted that I can't return to my regular work unless the dizziness gets much better.  I am going to start PT because ToddChaney suggested it.  I just can't afford to do it right now.  I did one session and I did well (I was a dancer, so balance exercises aren't new to me), but I was knocked-out the next day with crazy head pressure.

I think I can overcome the balance someday, but the head pressure is what gets me.

An eyelid implant and nerve grafting was suggested by the new doc, but no way am I going to have another surgery.  I'm just not willing.  I'm going to be an "As-Is" model for now on.

Thanks for asking about my appointment.

Love,
Mimi
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

trishy222

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 02:09:14 pm »
Hi Mimi :D

I too had shoulder pain after my gamma knife procedure. I was not sure if it was related to that, thought more possibly from chemo that I had been given with my cancer. I did do PT and it seemed to help greatly. I understand the $ issues no doubt! Maybe try some slow stretching or yoga that may be helpful. Meditation is also a wonderful tool. I have "Be Still and Know that I am God" meditation cd. If you would like it or a copy I am happy to share. Just send me a PM with your address.

Best wishes for you.
XOXO
Trish