Author Topic: One Week Post Op Eye Problem  (Read 3682 times)

mysusie

One Week Post Op Eye Problem
« on: November 25, 2014, 12:34:16 pm »
Husband one week post op. Assured that facial muscle control will return. Surgery side eyelid only closes half way. I asked for ointment in ICU and that is being applied but the eye is so irritated. We have been using hot wet compresses which provide a great deal of relief but you can't do that all the time. Taping eye shut helps but not for working on balance issues in rehab center where he will be for another few days.

I would appreciate any other ideas anyone can give me.

Thanks

v357139

Re: One Week Post Op Eye Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 08:07:10 pm »
I have no experience in this so I cannot help. Most of what I have read is with ointment and taping the eye shut, which you mention.  I am writing just to sympathize and tell you someone cares.  I am sure it will get better over time.  God bless and good luck.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 10:22:25 pm »
Keeping the eye moist with drops and ointment at night is most important. I had to have an eyelid weight put in for first year;although I have facial paralysis so his Dr may not feel that is needed for him. It helped my eye close all the way while recovering and nerve was regenerating.

One thing I have found helpful here lately is an sleeping eye mask ! It keeps eyes closed all night... I love it ... I'm 3 years out now and eye closes most all the way but this has really helped me sleep better .
Hope this helps some.. It's frustrating and can be painful ,, talk to his Dr again and see what he/she recommends while nerve heals,,which may be several months.. Good luck, let us know.. Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

lorigasper

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 07:03:37 pm »
I'm hoping that the lack of recent news means that your eye challenges have resolved somewhat, and that you've found eye care that works for you.  I have an eye weight and use a scleral lens.  Both are wonderful.  If you're still struggling, look for an eye professional that can help you consider those options.  Wishing you continued healing!
4cm AN diagnosed 4/13
retrosigmoid 6/13
tarsorraphy 6/13, SSD, rt side facial paralysis
tarsorraphy reversed 7/14
gold weight and scleral lens 7/14
CROS
12/7 nerve graft 12/14

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 01:54:48 pm »
I too have a gold weight in my right eyelid. It doesn't assist with blinking, but it does help pull that eyelid closed at night and when I want to close my eye, especially during an MRI. I still have to put lubricating drops in my eye (I use Genteal liquid gel drops) at night and wear the Dreamweaver eye mask to sleep. I was fitted for a Prose device (http://www.bostonsight.org/PROSE-treatment/About-PROSE). It's a scleral lense (much like a contact lens, but larger) that protects my cornea. I put it in in the morning and take it out before bed (which is why I don't use the thicker overnight ointments anymore. The ointments left a goopy mess in my eye that made it difficult to see through the prose lens. The thick ointment would get trapped by the lens and I'd have to remove it to clean it.) the lens has been a life changer and I am thankful my opthalmologist suggested it. It took a few trips to the closest medical center that offers the device but it was covered by insurance because it is considered a prosthetic. They custom fit the device to your eye. Before Prose, my eyes were dry and scratchy causing me to use lubricants all day. Even with the lubricants, I would scratch my cornea and would have to go to my opthalmologist. One month saw 7 trips to the eye doctor. 
I also clean my lids with OcuSoft Lid Scrub Pro every morning before I insert the lens. It helps clean my eyelids of the goopy lubricant that has dried on my lid overnight. Obviously check first with your eye care professional before trying any of this, but it has worked for me.
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder