Author Topic: Balance issues... please tell me it's not what I think it is.  (Read 2326 times)

anothereveryman

Balance issues... please tell me it's not what I think it is.
« on: November 21, 2014, 10:08:26 pm »
I bounced back fairly quickly from the surgery that removed the left side balance center as well as my tumor-laden cochlea, only taking a few days to be declared well enough to go home. I was told my balance would be better than it was before the surgery, and that was certainly so, considering the life-halting vertigo that had me helpless and vomiting for hours at the worst of my experiences.

With that said, I noted a sudden bout when I was sitting down and stumbled forward and almost fell. I caught myself but with family in full view they looked pretty worried. I'm very anxious now and that might contribute somewhat to light-headedness. My eyes aren't nyastigmic and vertigo isnt happening, but I do feel like my balance isn't as steady right now.

Does anyone else with a single remaining balance center have days like this or am I experiencing possibly, well, something else? Please not another tumor...

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Balance issues... please tell me it's not what I think it is.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 07:47:38 am »
Hi anothereveryman .....

It is not uncommon to experience a sudden bout of disequilibrium, especially if you stand up quickly and try to start walking before getting your sense of balance established.  Your brain is still adapting to only having vestibular input from one side.

I find I cannot suddenly turn directions when walking or the same thing happens.  It is also more likely to happen when I am tired, stressed, and/or have had more caffeine than usual.

That being said, if you continue to have frequent bouts of losing your balance and it is increasing, you should mention it to your doctor.  It is highly unlikely that it is another tumor, but an MRI with contrast can be very reassuring in situations like this.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

v357139

Re: Balance issues... please tell me it's not what I think it is.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 08:13:53 pm »
Always best to check with doctor.  Best of luck and keep us posted.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!