Author Topic: New member... old tumor  (Read 6402 times)

brianharte

New member... old tumor
« on: November 21, 2014, 09:18:11 am »
Good morning. Just joined the Association and this forum. LONG story short, I was told on Oct. 24th that I had a large tumor in my head(based on CT Scan). I went to the doctor to explain my hearing and balance issues and after a few follow ups, I came away with tumor news. Boy that was an interesting day.

MRI was done on Nov 1 and results came in around Nov. 5th. (This was all done at Kaiser Downey). When I was driving home from work, Dr. Cueva (San Diego) called me and we had a 5 minute power session of news. He booked me for surgery Dec. 10 (I had not even met him and Dr. Mastrodimos yet.)

Nov. 18th I went to SD to meet Dr. C and Dr. M. I got to see my 5 cm acoustic neuroma on the left side.They figure it has been there about 15 years. I am 30 years old by the way.
We talked it out and luckily this web forum already prepared me for the news of what to expect.

What is amazing is my lack of symptoms. My balance is still pretty good. I sometimes get asked if I've had one too many... 
My hearing is pretty good too. If I remember things correctly, noise recognition is around 40% and speech recognition is about 80%.
My face feels fine. I feel a VERY little bit of numbness on my left side face/mouth, but I never would have thought about it until I read about AN symptoms.

The doctors made me feel pretty good about my situation, so I'm doing my best to prepare for what the future may hold.
I am going in for translab and should be patient #698 or so

Thanks all and have a great weekend.

-Brian
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:22:28 am by brianharte »

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: New member... old tumor
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 12:20:26 pm »
Welcome to the forum! Lots of stories here, as you will find. Good stories, some not so good. All are valuable. My tumor may have been with me that long or longer, but given its location on the artery, maybe not. It is generally impossible to know and really matters very little.

Most important things to do are: Hang in there, stay as positive as you can, take care of yourself, and continue to learn what you can.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:15:06 pm »
Hey Brian, welcome to our club!  And in a big way, no less!  Glad you found us here, it's a wealth of information and support here so use us as much as you need to! :)  5cm...that's definitely in the bigger category that I have seen here in quite some time.  I wish you the best on your surgery and hope the outcome is all positive.   Keep us updated! 
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

brianharte

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 01:29:12 pm »
Thank you. Many people that I talk to have no clue how to handle the news. Apparently I am quite positive about the whole thing, so some people actually think I'm joking.  Wish I was!

I've been getting daily walks done to get in slightly better shape. I've heard from a lot of people just around work who personally know somebody that had a surgery like this and the positivity is helping me a lot. I'm a lot better off now than I was 10 seconds after the doc first told me...

Thanks everybody.

Smedina

• I amaze myself...
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 07:17:03 pm »
Hey Brian. Your story reminds me of my own. I  was diagnosed with a 4.5cm tumor the day after I turned 36. I have to echo the bit about keeping a positive attitude. I also worked out like a fiend, wanting to be in the best shape possible. I think it also helped keep me sane in the three weeks between diagnosis and surgery.

Good luck in the coming weeks and months!.
Dx 10/20/2011- 4.5cm
Retrosigmoid- Weill Cornell- 11/15/2011- hypervascular tumor
Translab- 11/30/2011
Multiple complications- CSF leak, DVT, cerebellar injury
Facial paralysis- 12-7 Nerve transfer 3/12
SSD—BAHA- 2/14
Ongoing reconstruction & rehab

brianharte

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 10:37:03 am »
Getting closer now. It was hard leaving work yesterday knowing I won't be back until next year sometime. Everybody there has been more than supportive. Looking forward to seeing them again.

Now I have to keep myself from going insane from the wait. I'll be going under at 1PM next Wednesday.
Really looking forward to recovering.

ANGuy

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 01:41:09 pm »
Get well soon brother!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:28:45 am by ANGuy »
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

feline

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 08:56:37 pm »
Good luck and keep all of us up to date please
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

Jill Marie

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 10:26:40 pm »
Perhaps you can keep yourself busy by doing things you usually like to do this time of year.  Hopefully you have someone that can post here for you until you can post yourself, we will be waiting anxiously to hear how you are doing!  May the next few days go quickly!  Jill Marie :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Melissa

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 06:35:02 am »
Hi Brian. You've had quite a journey since Oct. 24th. I hope you will also take some time in the next few days to find a peaceful center within you and then image that center expanding and encircling you.  I know that you have a lot to do and think about before Wednesday, so it may not be easy to sit quietly or walk and to allow that deep peace to find you.  I will be thinking about you on Wednesday and sending energy for a good surgery and outcome and a good recovery.  It sounds like you have a good group of people around you to support you and get you through the surgery and recovery process.  Please keep us updated.
Peace-
Melissa
.5 cm AN in left IAC diagnosed March 2012
At diagnosis: mod to severe hearing loss,
26% SDS, tinnitus, balance impairment, vertigo, some facial numbness, fullness in left ear, hyperacusis
MRI 12/2014: tumor stable, no groth
Current status: episodes of vertigo, + all previous symptoms

Julia

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 11:28:15 pm »
Hi Brian,

I echo Melissa's sentiments.

I wish you a speedy recovery! Don't hesitate to ask those nurses for those meds!

Julia

8/28/14 first diagnosis: Rt med-large size
11/18/14 first neurosurgery consult
1/6/15 scheduled for GK

SXS: facial numbness, loss of taste, unsteadiness, swishing head sounds

brianharte

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 11:16:33 am »
If I can't do it, I'll have my wife post some type of update.

Thanks all.

brianharte

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 04:37:56 pm »
Made It out.  12 hour surgery. Very fatigued.  Will update more later

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 05:58:07 pm »
Best of luck to you and your family.  I think you're on the right track if you can submit a new post so soon.  Be easy on yourself, and hug your wife often.

Wish you the best!

Mimi
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.