Author Topic: Surgery November 25 - Middle Fossa at UT Southwestern  (Read 8836 times)

minerva1221

• AN posts on My Blog
Surgery November 25 - Middle Fossa at UT Southwestern
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:55:30 am »
My surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday, November 25, at 7am CT.  I had my pre-op tests yesterday.  It's starting to get real now.  I'm trying not to second-guess myself at this point, but can't help but have a "what the heck am I doing?!" moment every now and then. 
Mostly just trying to think positive but would appreciate any good thoughts, prayers, and/or words of wisdom you can offer!   :)

Julie
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 05:37:55 pm by minerva1221 »
Mid 2013:  high-frequency hearing loss, tinnitus, vertigo/balance issues, fullness in ear
Aug 2014 (age 39):  diagnosed with 4mm x 6mm x 8mm AN
Nov 25, 2014:  Middle Fossa Surgery at UTSW with Dr Kutz & Dr Mickey
 - 6 months post-op still battling fluctuating vision issues

sandyinwisconsin

Re: Surgery November 25 - Middle Fossa at UT Southwestern
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 12:53:02 pm »
Here is what someone wrote back in 2011.  It looks like you are in good hands.
Best of Luck : )

Sandy

Just had the translab procedure done for a 2.1cm left-side AN on April 28th.  Dr. J. Walter Kutz was my otolaryngologist (sp?) and Dr. Bruce Mickey was my neurosurgeon.  I had the procedure done at Zale Lipshy Hospital (part of the UTSouthwestern system) here in Dallas, TX.  I really appreciated their candor and reassurance while discussing ALL of my options with me, including radiosurgery, even though it wasn't the best option for me.  They were very attentive and  would return my calls and inquiries promptly (Dr. Kutz always called me back HIMSELF!).  I wasn't able to meet with Dr. Mickey at my pre-op the day before, so he personally called me on his cell phone that evening to check on me and reassure me that all was going to go well the next day.  Such caring doctors!  I would have done NOTHING differently.  The staff at Zale Lipshy was also remarkable.  Every nurse that I had in my 5 day stay was truly the best at what they did!  So caring and funny and understanding.  This was my first surgery EVER...I do it big;)  So I was filled with alot of apprehension and fear.  I didn't need to be...I had the best team I could have hoped for taking care of me!  If you have any questions about either of these doctors or this facility, I'd be glad to answer them!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:49:09 am by sandyinwisconsin »
1 cm AN deep in the boney canal.  Treated with 26 treatments of radiation in December, 2013.  Please pray with me that this worked.

ANGuy

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 05:46:14 pm »
Words of wisdom?  I'm not qualified ;D

I will say a prayer and wish you luck though!
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

minerva1221

• AN posts on My Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 10:35:46 pm »
Thanks, Sandy!  Yes, I found that post as well as a couple others here and was able to speak with some patients of these doctors about their experiences as a result.   That made a world of difference and I definitely feel I am in good hands.  Doesn't make me any less nervous though!

Thanks, ANGuy!   :)
Mid 2013:  high-frequency hearing loss, tinnitus, vertigo/balance issues, fullness in ear

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 01:22:04 pm »
Hi Minerva!! So you are  having your surgery the same day as my birthday!!  :)  See, you do have more than one reason to celebrate that date now! :)  Seriously though, I wish you all the best and have a speedy recovery.  But just know that there are times that you might feel that things aren't going fast enough for you, so just try to remain patient.  I tried but didn't always succeed! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

v357139

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 07:55:06 pm »
If you were not a bit nervous, you would not be human.  It is natural.  Try to focus on the fact that you made a great choice, and that you have a great chance.  And we are here pulling for you.  I will pray for you tonight also.  Feel free to PM if you need to talk.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

minerva1221

• AN posts on My Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:18:35 pm »
Thank you for the advice, Jay.  I will try to keep that in mind throughout my recovery.  And surely with it being on such an auspicious day, my surgery will go splendidly.   :D

Thank you, v357139, for the kind words and the prayers.  I will take all of those I can get at this point.  By this time tomorrow I'll be at the hospital getting prepped.  Just trying to keep myself distracted in the interim! 

minerva1221

• AN posts on My Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 10:31:13 am »
Quick update to say that surgery went well.  They were able to remove the whole tumor, no damage to other nerves, hearing preserved at this point!  I spent one night in recovery (ICU was full), 3 nights in a regular room, and planned discharge on Saturday (11/29).  However, right before discharge (I was in my go home clothes already!) I developed a CSF leak.  So ended up needing a lumbar drain, drained every 2 hours for 5 days, then observed for 24 hours to make sure the leak had stopped.  It had (Yay!!) so I was finally discharged on Friday, Dec 5...10 days after surgery.

I've been home for a week now and feel pretty decent most of the time.  Haven't needed any pain meds in a few days, no nausea, dizziness, etc.  Have to force myself to get out and walk and do my vestibular exercises (which are a challenge!) mainly because I get tired so easily, but overall I have to say I am doing pretty dang good!!  :-)

ANGuy

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 11:06:19 am »
I'm glad you are doing so well.  It is encouraging to me.  I go for my 6 month (second total) MRI this coming Weds.  As for any symptoms, just chalk them up to turning 40 soon lol.  I have young kids and I can't keep up with them.  I honestly don't know if it's because of my AN, or if it's just that I am 20 years older then the last time I raised small kids.  It sure was easier then.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 06:06:33 pm »
Great news!  I live Escalante, Utah; do you live in Utah?  I don't know UT Southwestern.

Anyway, it seems a few of us are within six months of each others surgery date.  Let's keep on keeping on!

Best wishes!

Mimi
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

minerva1221

• AN posts on My Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 10:55:58 am »
Thanks ANGuy and Mimi!  I have to keep reminding myself to be patient....just because I'm not recovering as fast as I'd like doesn't mean I'm not doing great. 

Mimi, UT Southwestern is in Dallas, TX.  In this case, UT means University of Texas, not Utah.   :D

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 03:58:22 pm »
How are you doing?

Mimi
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

v357139

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 09:25:42 pm »
Congratulations Minerva!!!!  It sounds like you have much to be happy about.  Count those positives, they are much bigger than the few negatives.  Time will pass and before you know it will just be a memory.  Keep us posted on your recovery.  All the best.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

minerva1221

• AN posts on My Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 12:07:03 pm »
Apologies for not providing any updates or checking in awhile.  I'm  7+ months post-op now and doing pretty well but still struggling with vision issues which limit the amount of time I am willing to spend online.  I have been following the AN Group on Facebook occasionally (as my eyes permit) but don't comment there much because of it being so public. 

I did finally break down and post an (entirely too long) update on my blog.  If interested, you can find it here:  https://minerva1221.wordpress.com/2015/07/10/this-is-going-to-be-a-long-one/

Hope all of you fellow warriors are doing well!  :D

v357139

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 07:29:34 pm »
7 months passed quickly didn't it?  Glad its going mostly well.