Author Topic: Baha in Winter  (Read 5178 times)

Kristena

Baha in Winter
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:57:57 am »
So, it’s my first winter with a Baha. I read that you should avoid extreme temperatures. How cold is too cold? Does the post freeze? Yesterday I tried wearing a hat over my Baha at the bus stop, and it started whistling and whining away. I kept moving my head in different positions, but inevitably the whistling would start up again and people were starting to look around for the source of that noise (embarrassing!) I ended up taking my hat off, but I think I’ll have to remove my Baha in the future if I want to stay warm. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to living with a Baha in cold weather?
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Baha in Winter
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 02:11:46 pm »
Hi Kristena .....

I have had my Ponto for over three years now so starting into my fourth winter with it.  Like you, I found hats not very satisfactory because of the whistling ..... so I use a jacket with a big attached hood that works just fine when I pull it away from the processor.  Anything that touches the processor will cause feedback so experiment with bigger hoods.

I have never stayed outdoors long enough on extremely cold days to know if the post conducts cold.  I know it conducts heat so I have to keep my fingers around the post when drying my hair.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ANGuy

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 03:26:55 pm »
I don't know about BAHA's but I do know a little about cold.  There are different types of cold.  I grew up in NJ and it gets very cold there in the winter.  Now I live in The South, and people here think it gets cold here.  It doesn't get cold here.  They just think it does.

Then, there is Canada and Midwest cold.  That is a whole other level of cold.  It's absurdly cold.  It can be fatal it gets so cold there.

It was 75* today and people were wearing sweaters just because it is November.  The women in my office have space heaters on under their desks and I was sweating just heating up my lunch in the microwave.  But, they were cold ;D
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Kristena

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 03:59:12 pm »
I'm talking below zero cold, and wondering if that's going to give me a literal brain freeze  ;)
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 08:09:36 am »
Sorry Kristena, I live in Phoenix AZ so we don't even know what those words mean. "Below zero"??  :)  That being said, I have had occasions to wear a beanie cap to keep the head warm, and I just simply "mute" the BAHA so there's no feedback while I have it one.  Anyways, I hope you all stay warm this winter!  We'll keep the heat on for you all down here until you need it again! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 05:15:35 pm »
I have had mine going on 4 winters. Last year it was below zero for 4 or 5 days in a row without a problem.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Helena14

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 05:05:34 am »
what it it's -10 °C or something like that? Does the post "freeze" even with the baha removed abd the plastic cap on it? I'm a bit scared of this thing because where I live it gets cold and windy in winter...
Would it be okay to wear a really light beanie or would it still cause feedback? I mean, hair don't give feedback, so...

Kristena

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 02:06:31 pm »
It's been a pretty mild winter so far, but I haven't had any issues. I just turn off the Baha (but leave it in place) before putting my hat on when it's really cold and windy. I would probably remove it before doing anything active outside--just for safe keeping.