General Category > AN Issues

My daughter found out she has an AN-we have questions.

(1/2) > >>

Neskew:
My 23 year old daughter had an MRI three weeks ago and we were told a week later that she has an AN . We were told we should have another one done in 6 months. On 10/24, she had emergency gallbladder surgery and had trouble recovery and was in the hospital until yesterday. She has been also diagnosed with POTS. While in the hospital an ENT wanted another MRI done with contrast and that one showed the AN lit up, bigger than three weeks ago and supposedly in a dangerous spot. The ENT wants us to go to USC and see Dr. Friedman but the hospital doctor wants her to go to the house Institute and that is where the referral is for but we are waiting for the other one. The ENT said she needs surgery(middle fossa). Any suggestions or recommendations?

CHD63:
Hi Neskew and welcome .....

So sorry your daughter has been diagnosed with an AN, but glad you found this forum.

Just so you know, Dr. Rick Friedman was at House Ear Clinic up until September, 2013.  He and Dr. Marc Schwartz (who is still at House) removed my acoustic neuroma in 2011.  Both of them are excellent surgeons so I would urge you to get opinions from both of them.  Both will do free evaluations based on the MRI and audiogram (if you have one).

Thoughts and prayers as you work through the decision-making process.

Clarice

Neskew:
We have two MRIs, one without contrast and one with. We do not have an audiogram. How do we get a free evaluation without a referral from insurance.
Nora

CHD63:
Hi Nora .....

Since Dr. Friedman and House Ear Clinic do free evaluations, insurance is not involved.  Your daughter will need to sign a release and you may need to pay the imaging facility a small fee for additional copies of her MRI CD (the one done with contrast).  Then send one to each place with a brief description of her history and symptoms.

When she decides where she will have treatment, then the insurance will need to be contacted to determine coverage.  You do not need a referral for the free evaluation.

Hope that helps.

Clarice

Neskew:
We went to the House Institute yesterday and met with Dr. Luxford. He confirmed her tumor and they are scheduled a Middle Fossa Surgery for next Thursday. Dr. Schwartz will also be performing the surgery. It will be at St. Vincent's. Do you think we need a second opinion? Also I do not know much about the hospital , any info?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version