Author Topic: MRSA  (Read 3629 times)

byron88

MRSA
« on: October 24, 2014, 11:31:51 am »
Has anyone gotten MRSA in their surgical incision?

I have gotten different advice from two different Drs in regards to cleaning the incision. Has anyone else had any experience with MRSA?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: MRSA
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 02:09:13 pm »
I did not.

And don't know of anyone who has.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 03:35:05 pm »
If you have MRSA (Multi Resistant Staphylococcus Aurius) Golden Staph infection at your wound site then it can become a very serious complication. So dont let it get out of hand... if it gets worse see your doctor immediately.

Its infectious so keep the wound covered to stop the spread to others.
Keep it clean
Use soap and water regularly
Take the drugs prescribed, don't miss a dose or be late, if it says take before food or with food that helps too, apply ointments if prescribed.
Always wash your hands thoroughly after treating the wound.
Make sure the dirty dressings are disposed of 

Any doubts speak to your doctor again
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Ned

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 11:36:16 am »
Contracted MRSA in my nose last year after hospitalization for pneumonia.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

ayse81

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 05:09:25 pm »
byron88,
I had mrsa on one of the three spots where the head clamp was placed.
I had to delay my second and final craniotomy because of this.
I went through plenty of antibiotics which consisted of pills and ivs.
I had to have a debridement.
My neurosurgeon cleaned up the infection site.  Home follow up care was to clean with alcohol swab and bandage.
He wanted it to stay as dry as possible so no antibiotic ointment.
The infection was very stubborn.  It went away then returned so I had to get a debridement surgery.
I got my second and final craniotomy a little while after that.

Then...
while on vaca by the beach after all 4 surgeries I got a infection that ended up being staph on cran inc. site.  got antibiotics and left beach to stay on safe side.
it went away.   mine prob. happened due to high humidity, sweating, suntan products and ocean water combo.
I kept it dry by using alcohol swabs, and washing with a simple j&j gentle shamp.

it can be very stubborn. your neurosurgeon should check it out if u have it.  he needs to see it to inspect it to see if you need antibiotics.

also, my entire room was wiped down with disinfectant wipes and still I got it.  first time I noticed was in rehab.  the lymph nodes in my head also became sore.  that was one of the signs.
3.1 cm tumor
.first 15 hour surgery 3/4/2014
.surgery for mrsa/headclamp site,3weeks later
.second 15 hour surgery 4/17/2014, 95 percent removed
.7-12 nerve graft surgery, 3 weeks later
.left side facial paralysis, left side deafness

Brewers7

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 08:22:41 am »
I had full blown MRSA which showed up in my temporal area just above the incision site.  I had three additional surgeries followed by very strong anitibiotics for months. I have since been told that MRSA is rare in cranial surgeries.   
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010