Author Topic: Nasal Drip While Eating  (Read 8731 times)

jts

Nasal Drip While Eating
« on: September 25, 2006, 08:48:07 pm »
At about the 13 week post op time frame, I have developed a runny nose every time I eat - even if it is just a snack.  I'm assuming that it is due to the beginning of the return of facial muscle control on the AN side.  Any others experienced this?  It is now our running joke in the family - time for supper - get me a napkin and a kleenex!
58 year old male
Surgery June 8, 2006  Middle Crania Fossa
Dr. Bruce Gantz at Univ IA Hosp
13 months post op tinnitus AN side, mild unstable balance, slight lack of facial muscle control AN side, slight lisp, 10% hearing loss, eye and nose run when eating. Doing really well!

Boppie

Re: Nasal Drip While Eating
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 12:37:16 am »
I am well past recovery and healing.  But my nose runs when I eat.  It is especially bothersome when I eat things that need a lot of chewing.  The problem comes and goes and seems more noticeable when my sinuses have been stuffy.  Yes, I use a napkin and kleenex at every meal.  Once in a while my eye waters when I eat.  I guess this will go away, but I don't let it worry me.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 06:41:41 am »
My nose does not run when i eat.  it runs when i excercise, clean the house, do laundry, anytime i do any type of physical activity. You should see me at the Y, i walk around with a box of tissues while i work out. its kind of embarrassing, but not as bad as having snot run down you face like a two yeaf old! ::)

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 07:19:56 am »
jtkate,
  It's not uncommon for post treatment AN patients to experience nasal discharge and a watering eye on the AN side when eating.  I do.  The facial nerve that controls these functions runs through part of the auditory canal along with the hearing and balance nerves.  When the facial nerve is tramatized from AN, there apparently can be "misfiring" nerves, or odd cross connects from healing.
  After experiencing temporary dry eye after An treatment, I'll take an occasional watery eye anytime.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 07:32:24 pm »
I have the running nose and tearing eye while eating.  I can't feel either one so my son will tell me mom wipe your nose.  I hate going out to eat with friends as i'm constantly rubbing my nose.  Just keep the kleenex handy!

matti

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 08:17:47 pm »
My nose runs/drips when I eat, exercise, housework, yard work, etc... My eye will tear up as well, but weird that I can't cry out of it.

I think we should do a commercial for Kleenex, I know I am never without mine. 

cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

lmurray69

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 08:22:25 pm »
 You guys have some of the werdess things happen to you..I hope that I dont have these things. i'd look crazy eye patch, and two kleenexout of the nose...//
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

matti

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 08:36:49 pm »
Imurray - I have gotten so used to it, that it really doesn't bother me anymore.

LOL when it first started happening I did have a kleenex hanging out of my nose, and it helped until my family got tired of looking at it.

cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 10:13:32 pm »
Yeah! Matti,   That would be so funny .... ;D   :DKleenex hanging out of the nose :D :D

Chris

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 03:32:24 pm »
After radiation I didn't have nasal drip but it certainly felt like it. I got sick of constantly rubbing my nose and didn't want to develop a habit so I had a mirror on my desk at work. Each time I felt the tendency to rub my nose I looked in the mirror first to confirm there was nothing there. I still get the sensation occasionally.
2.5cm AN diagnosed late 2005 and treated with fractionated stereotactic radiation in Sydney Australia Oct 2005