Author Topic: Husbands translab is October 30th-nervous-want to be prepared-HELP  (Read 3208 times)

ConcernedWifeWendy

My husbands surgery is October 30th at St. Lukes/St. Louis with Dr. Jacques Herzog.  My daughters and I will be staying at a facility that houses families whose loved one is having treatment/surgery at any local hospital that lives out of town.  My husband is getting anxious and nervous (we all are) and I'm trying to think ahead - what to pack for his hospitalization (especially things I normally wouldn't think of) - what my daughters and I might need - what he/we will need when he gets home from hospital (that way I don't have to run out and get it at the last minute) I'm hoping several patients and caregivers will respond with advice on what to take/do.  What did you/your loved one not have that you wish they would of?  It would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

cassie

Re: Husbands translab is October 30th-nervous-want to be prepared-HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:02:03 pm »
Hi, wendy! I had surgery a year ago at barnes in st louis. I wanted my bath robe more than anything and my ipad, phone and toothbrush. My family needed alot of quarters for the vending machines. Oh, and I HAD to have my favorite pillow. After I got home, all I wanted was ice pops and italian ice for days. He may need straws because drinking from a cup will be difficult if he has any facial palsy. I wish him well and most likely, he will just need your love and caring.

raji83

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:29:19 am »
Did you get my message?

annec

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 01:10:24 pm »
Hi Wendy,

My surgery ( translab) was last year on Oct 24th at UAB in Birmingham, Alabama. Surgery was on a Thursday, I was moved out of ICU on Sunday afternoon and discharged on Monday afternoon. Your husband will sleep a lot during the first few days. I suggest books, magazines, iPads, etc for you and your daughters to pass the time (I am assuming your daughters are older- if not, I suggest games you all can play together).

If your husband's facial nerve is damaged and he is not able to blink, he will want something for his eye to keep it moist. I was provided gel drops in the hospital but would have preferred eye ointment. If he wears glasses, take the arm off the AN side so he can use them when he has his bandage on (it will be lopsided, but at least he will be able to see).  He may also want a patch to put on his eye. There are self adhesive patches you can purchase at the pharmacy (you don't want the kind with the elastic band). I also wanted lip moisturizer as well. I did enjoy magazines when I felt up to reading something. I didn't even attempt to use my phone in the hospital since I figured my texts probably wouldn't make much sense anyway!

A wedge pillow will be a big help if he is not already using one. 

I am glad your daughters will be with you as I think that will be good for all of you. I hope all goes well with your husband's surgery and his recovery!  Please let us hear from you :)

Anne

mesafinn

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 06:39:23 am »
Wendy,

I am thinking of your husband today and hoping all goes incredibly well for you and your entire family.

You are not alone!!   Peace and hope,

Patrick
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."