Author Topic: Just returned from House Clinic...  (Read 3702 times)

anothereveryman

Just returned from House Clinic...
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:27:38 pm »
Dr. Slattery was worth all the plaques and awards I saw on his wall. Like a Star Trek miracle worker, he even understated the expected outcome. My tinnitus has gone way down since my left cochlea and left vestibular area was removed (and the tumor within the former and either spreading to or compressing the latter), and he said not to expect that. That's a huge quality of life improvement to me.

Speaking of quality of life, though, I know these things take time, but I admit its a little scary that my eyes still sway sideways even as I type this. Walking is a challenge, though I was told that my eyes and walking will improve with practice and that the vertigo attacks should be gone for good (the vertigo attacks were far worse than simple dizziness and were the reason surgery was decided upon).

I'd like to hear from others that had similar surgeries. Do you have any advice on how to handle the lingering dizziness issues? Just how careful do I have to be about cerebral spinal fluid leakage and for how long (no abdominal tissue was taken, indicating no spinal fluid leak occured during the surgery). How about my eyes? Do I need to step away from computers for a few weeks, as difficult as that might be?

It went well overall, and I'm only about five days after the surgery, but I welcome any and all responses!

v357139

Re: Just returned from House Clinic...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 08:00:57 pm »
Congrats to you I had Slattery also.  My eyes felt funny for a few days after being released from hospital.  I could not use computer for at least a week.  And I was not real steady walking for a few days after release also.  And now I am doing great.  So what you describe does not sound unusual.  I just tried to walk a little farther each day, and I got a little steadier each day.  On how long not to strain, I strongly suggest you ask Slattery about that, to make sure you wait the right amount of time.  I think its 30 days, but make sure you ask the doctor.  Congrats again, and best of luck.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

anothereveryman

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 06:55:11 pm »
Congrats to you I had Slattery also.  My eyes felt funny for a few days after being released from hospital.  I could not use computer for at least a week.  And I was not real steady walking for a few days after release also.  And now I am doing great.  So what you describe does not sound unusual.  I just tried to walk a little farther each day, and I got a little steadier each day.  On how long not to strain, I strongly suggest you ask Slattery about that, to make sure you wait the right amount of time.  I think its 30 days, but make sure you ask the doctor.  Congrats again, and best of luck.
Thank you for that. I'm a little worried about what constitutes strain. I had an involuntary cough a short while ago, my vision got blurry, I felt a jolt of pain down my arms but that cleared up. My eyes are about as unfocused as they were two days ago again so that's a little scary. I can't seem to be able to take it easy when my body decides to autonomically attack itself. :P

Well, thank you for replying! I look forward to any replies.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 04:34:46 pm »
Hey, welcome to the other side! :)  So you are only 5 days after surgery??? Wow!  I was still in the hospital after the 5th day and then another 5 hanging around Seton Hall.  So you are doing about as expected.  Just take it easy, and don't over do!  Rest often as you can.  As much as you can, start going for walks, and do overdo that as well.  Walking around will help everything come together, plus physical activity, even in moderate amounts, will go a long way towards recovery.  As you have already guess, all this computer/tv viewing can and will be a bit much for you until things start settling down.  It's gonna be a few months before you start feeling 100% so don't rush it!  Take care and good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

kmr1969

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:41:50 pm »
My recollection from my pre surgery doctor visits was that reading for a few weeks after surgery was going to be difficult. I was told by my House doctors not to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs for 6 weeks and I didn't. I had a good recovery and didn't want to do anything to screw it up. I do remember them telling me to open my mouth when I sneezed but don't recall any warnings about coughing.  Sounds like you are doing well and I wouldn't worry too much about any of your post surgery symptoms. Your body has been through a lot and while it may take a while, I think a lot of us here would say that the body's ability to heal itself and/or compensate and work around difficulties is pretty amazing. Heal well!
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far