General Category > AN Issues

vertigo attacks are they random or is there a trigger?

(1/1)

ewhitese:
I experienced a debilitating vertigo attack recently that put me in bed for three days, couldn't open my eyes with out throwing up. It seemed to come out of the blue and caught me off guard.  I am curious to know if anyone can identify a trigger to vertigo events, or can tell when an attack is coming.  I only had one attack and am feeling fine at the moment.  Are they gone for good?  Is there a cycle?  These are the questions that keep me awake at night..... not really, but since I don't sleep well it is something that I mull over in my head on sleepless nights.  I go through the event prior to and during to see if I can identify something ...anything out of the ordinary that possibly set it off.  I got nothing, lots of little things that could be it, but no definable eureka moment.

So if you know what sets you off, please enlighten us.  Thanks

ANGuy:
Mine are random, but always seem to strike within and hour or two of waking up, almost exclusively on my days off.  I'll get a couple over a three month period, and then go a year or two without any.  Mine seem to be preceded by several days of increases in tinnitus and the feeling on fulness or even ear ache type pain/sensation.  Usually as those symptoms subside, when I think things are getting better, the seasick type symptoms strike.

You don't need to suffer in bed for three days.  There are meds such as Zophran for the vomiting and others like valium and mecklazine for the dizziness.  They will make you sleepy, but they should mitigate the miserable symptoms.

The Zophran works instantly for me to stop the nausea and vomiting.  The valium and mecklazine take an hour or two to stop the dizziness.

I carry one of each in an aluminum pill canister on my key chain.  It is very comforting to know that if I was struck with symptoms away from home, I am moments away from nausea relief and an hour or so away from dizziness relief.  The sleepy/stoned side-effects of the valium and mecklazine are frankly welcome at that point.  I don't believe in deliberately intoxicating myself, but I'm not going to deny myself the comfort it gives me while it mitigates my symptoms.

ewhitese:
My attack occurred while on a trip, stuck in a hotel.  I had just retired and my insurances were in limbo, very scary.  I was able to send my wife for mecklazine on the second day when I realized I wasn't going to shake it off and go.  But I am not sure if the mecklazine knocked it out of me or the attack ended on its own.  I continued to throw up and be dizzy for another 8 hours after taking it and the dizziness stayed with me for another three weeks.  I am sure that I will start to see patterns if this is one.  I am hoping for a single event and that's it.

It has been three months since the attack.  I now have my ducks in a row, insurance settled, a prescription to carry with me when I am away from home etc.  I'm not a good pill taker, I can choke them down but would rather not take anything if I can help it.   I hope it is like buying an emergency generator.... as soon as you get one the power never goes out again.

You said you notice increase in tinnitus and fullness in the ear, I have noticed this also but never gave it much attention, maybe I'll start charting those.  I have had those symptoms with out vertigo.  The randomness of my event is what seems odd to me.

ANGuy:
Zophran is chewable.  It works before you even finish chewing it up.  As for not being a "pill taker", choose your poison, days of violent illness and misery, or some pills. 

MDemisay:
Dear ewhitese,

Have not had an attack of vertigo in quite some time now....... but perhaps,I can be helpful with your sleepless nights. Have you tried meditating? Just close your eyes and imagine something relaxing like lying on a beach with a marguerita in hand.....Listen to an audio cd of Dr. Wayne Dyer  "Secrets of Manifesting"
 A Spritual Guide for Getting What You Want *Google it*!

Peace,

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version