Author Topic: Extreme fatigue  (Read 3864 times)

elsie

Extreme fatigue
« on: September 19, 2014, 04:29:09 pm »
Hi,

I am in watch & wait after learning in January that my AN has come back, after complete removal many years ago.  The same tingling, facial numbness, one-sided tongue numbness and some new vertigo symptoms (that may or may not be related) got me to my surgeon.  I had four moves this year - after my first three, I fought fatigue (for the first time in my life for 2-3 weeks after each move).  This fourth move was in the beginning of August, and I am still battling the extremem fatigue - today was a very bad day.  My questions:

1.  How common is fatigue pre-treatment (I did not experience it with my first AN)?
2.  Does an increase in exercise level, such as increased walking, help?
3.  If you had it, did it get better after treatment?
4.  Is the fatigue a signal that I should move up my follow-up MRI?  (The docs I consulted - Richard Wiet, House, my neurologist who is handling my case) - all want me to wait 12 months, but I'm not comfortable right now with that.  I had a long discussion with my neurologist in August about this, he felt it was just my body reacting to the stress of the AN and a high pressure job, but this is excessive. 

I'll call Dr. Wiet next week, but any feed back before would really be helpful.

Very large AN removed Aug., 1988 - pushed cerebellum aside, touching brain stem
Dr. Wiet in Hinsdale did 12 hour surgery, got it all
Total right-side facial paralysis for 6 months, 50 - 75% return
Extreme dry eye and tinnitus in both ears
Lost all hearing in AN ear
1/8/14  AN Regrowth confirmed

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Extreme fatigue
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 11:40:27 pm »
I can't address the fatigue issue but my AN grew 20% within 6 months after I was diagnosed.

At this point you might as well schedule your next MRI with contrast as soon as you can.

You're already 9 months from your last MRI. By the time you get it scheduled it'll probably be October.

What were the dimensions of the regrowth discovered in January?
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 07:13:01 am »
Hi elsie .....

So sorry you are experiencing regrowth of your tumor.  I can identify!

I do not know that increased fatigue is an indicator of additional regrowth because I did not experience that.  It does sound like you have had many stressors in the past nine months.

That being said, I hope you can move up the MRI date, for your peace of mind, if nothing else.

Many prayers that your doctor and/or insurance will approve and allow you to schedule your MRI sooner.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

elsie

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 06:39:42 pm »
My regrowth was 9 mm, with a second 3.5 mm "forming".  I called Dr. Wiet Monday,haven't heard back...will be calling again tomorrow.  Needless to say, I'm really not happy right now....
Very large AN removed Aug., 1988 - pushed cerebellum aside, touching brain stem
Dr. Wiet in Hinsdale did 12 hour surgery, got it all
Total right-side facial paralysis for 6 months, 50 - 75% return
Extreme dry eye and tinnitus in both ears
Lost all hearing in AN ear
1/8/14  AN Regrowth confirmed

Kate62

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 06:00:11 pm »
Elsie, I just wanted to say that I am thinking about you and your situation. I am new to all of this AN stuff.  In fact, I am trying to decide between radiation and surgery right now.  It is hard enough to figure out the options the 1st time around. But I can only imagine the disappointment of finding regrowth and doing round two.  I know there is no "guarantee" with any of the treatment options. Hope you get your MRI and a plan real soon.  Hugs to you, Kate