Author Topic: Anyone have both Retro-Sig AND translab?  (Read 2555 times)

barber

Anyone have both Retro-Sig AND translab?
« on: September 12, 2014, 04:49:10 pm »
I'm new on here but I have stalked this forum for some time. My story is briefly...
Right-sided hearing loss led to MRI, diagnosed with 2.7cm AN
Retro-Sigmoid Surgery three months later for attempted removal except the facial nerve was all over the tumor. Intra-operative diagnosis of Facial Schwannoma minimal "de-bulking" was performed secondary to the extensive involvement with the facial nerve.
Difficult post op course included CSF leak, migraines, etc.
Follow-up MRI three months after surgery (6 months from initial diagnosis) shows enlargement to 3.3 cm.
Now I'm confronted with the possibility of repeat surgery, this time trans-lab and more aggressive debulking or removal with know facial nerve issues.

So anyone have both surgeries... as if one was not enough?
Thanks

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Anyone have both Retro-Sig AND translab?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 05:15:04 pm »
Hi barber and welcome to this forum .....

So sorry you are dealing with the thought of a second surgery.  I can identify .....

My first AN surgery was via retrosigmoid approach.  However, I was told the tumor was entirely removed so I was very dismayed when three years later it was deemed the "residual scar tissue" showing on the MRIs actually grew into a regrown tumor.

It was removed a second time via translabyrinthine approach.  I had no facial involvement, other than mild facial weakness for a couple of weeks ..... no headaches.

When one is in a regrowth situation, you want the most experienced surgeons you can find.  Therefore, I chose wisely for that second surgery and had a positive outcome.  Because I knew the translab would cause total deafness in my AN ear, I had my Oticon Medical Ponto Pro abutment placed at the same time.  I love my bone-anchored hearing device.

Many thoughts and prayers for a successful second surgery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

byron88

Re: Anyone have both Retro-Sig AND translab?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:57:52 pm »
I had both preformed as well 3 days apart, mine was due to an artery running through the tumor. They hit it during surgery and had to have a transfusion. Luckily the artery just went to the tumor; however, they had to preform the second surgery to remove the rest of the tumor. 5% left and its been exactly one month and a day since the surgery.