General Category > AN Issues

Anyone have both Retro-Sig AND translab?

(1/1)

barber:
I'm new on here but I have stalked this forum for some time. My story is briefly...
Right-sided hearing loss led to MRI, diagnosed with 2.7cm AN
Retro-Sigmoid Surgery three months later for attempted removal except the facial nerve was all over the tumor. Intra-operative diagnosis of Facial Schwannoma minimal "de-bulking" was performed secondary to the extensive involvement with the facial nerve.
Difficult post op course included CSF leak, migraines, etc.
Follow-up MRI three months after surgery (6 months from initial diagnosis) shows enlargement to 3.3 cm.
Now I'm confronted with the possibility of repeat surgery, this time trans-lab and more aggressive debulking or removal with know facial nerve issues.

So anyone have both surgeries... as if one was not enough?
Thanks

CHD63:
Hi barber and welcome to this forum .....

So sorry you are dealing with the thought of a second surgery.  I can identify .....

My first AN surgery was via retrosigmoid approach.  However, I was told the tumor was entirely removed so I was very dismayed when three years later it was deemed the "residual scar tissue" showing on the MRIs actually grew into a regrown tumor.

It was removed a second time via translabyrinthine approach.  I had no facial involvement, other than mild facial weakness for a couple of weeks ..... no headaches.

When one is in a regrowth situation, you want the most experienced surgeons you can find.  Therefore, I chose wisely for that second surgery and had a positive outcome.  Because I knew the translab would cause total deafness in my AN ear, I had my Oticon Medical Ponto Pro abutment placed at the same time.  I love my bone-anchored hearing device.

Many thoughts and prayers for a successful second surgery.

Clarice

byron88:
I had both preformed as well 3 days apart, mine was due to an artery running through the tumor. They hit it during surgery and had to have a transfusion. Luckily the artery just went to the tumor; however, they had to preform the second surgery to remove the rest of the tumor. 5% left and its been exactly one month and a day since the surgery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version