Author Topic: Question about AN  (Read 2643 times)

Theregee

Question about AN
« on: September 07, 2014, 02:32:34 pm »
Hi - about 6 years ago I developed ringing in one ear as well as hearing loss (difficulty hearing in groups of people). 
My Primary doc referred me for hearing test.  The test proved minor hearing loss.  I was told I had Tinnitus and nothing more.  Fast forward to this point in time - my Tinnitus has worsened and become louder - it is still only in my left ear.   My hearing seems more impaired although I still consider myself to have good hearing in the affected ear.  My ear feels 'full' - really it's a hard to describe the feeling - it just feels different than my other ear.  I used to have bouts of dizziness upon waking but those episodes have subsided.  I can't recall when I last had one.   I had pretty bad ear infections as a child that have left scarring in my ears (told I had scarring by a doctor several years ago). 

I don't have numbness, tingling or balance issues.

I took a Claritin D today and noticed the ringing was not as loud. 

My three questions for the group are
1)  Is one sided tinnitus and hearing loss most always the result of acoustic neuroma?
2) How common are post operative CSF and facial nerve damage?
3) What are the top facilities for surgery?  I live in Oklahoma but I'm willing to travel. 

I found a reputable ENT doctor locally and I will call the office tomorrow to make an appointment.

I'm pretty scared right now - but at the same time I know my survival instincts will kick in and allow me to deal with whatever the outcome is. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:02:54 pm by Theregee »

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Question about AN
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 03:18:33 pm »
Hi Theregee and welcome to this forum .....

First of all, take a deep breath and try to relax until you have a diagnosis.

Unfortunately there are several other things besides an acoustic neuroma that can cause the symptoms you are describing.

To answer your questions:

1)  Although single sided hearing loss and tinnitus can be hallmarks of an acoustic neuroma, so can other inner ear diseases cause these symptoms
2)  With the improvements in treatment today, it is quite uncommon to have either CSF leaks or facial nerve damage from surgery for an AN ..... especially if you choose highly experienced surgeons
3)  If and when you are diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, your new friends on this forum can tell you many of their experiences with various physicians around the country.  That will include doctors who do surgery, doctors specializing in radiation treatment, and doctors recommending you watch and wait.

The main (and most accurate) way to diagnose an acoustic neuroma (vestibular schwannoma) is through an MRI done with contrast.  I would urge you to go to your ENT and simply address your concerns/fears and ask for an MRI with contrast.

Thoughts and prayers and let us know what you find out.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:04:16 pm »
Clarice has given you the best advice any of us can give you.

MRI with contrast is the way to go.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

grammyslim

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:19:57 pm »
Got a great Dr. in Houston, TX if you decide radiation.  Had it 2.5 yrs ago all systems go. 
1.4 cm diagnosed 01/12
significant hearing loss rt side
total balance loss rt side - AN side -
left side already compensated (who knew)
Radiation completed May 2012 - all systems are GO -- so happy I chose radiation near home.