Author Topic: NYU Langone  (Read 5766 times)

dondey

NYU Langone
« on: September 04, 2014, 02:06:24 pm »
Hi to all,

I have a 21mm recurrent cystic Acoustic Neuroma, after a failed retrosigmoid craniotomy 13 years ago with no facial damage. After much deliberation I think that translab surgery will be the right path for me now, rather than radiosurgery.

NYU Langone seems to be my leading option for medical care of my condition. I'm interested in hearing people's experience with surgery in this institute, and/or with Dr. Golfinos and Dr. Roland.

Thanks in advance!

Fran6774

Re: NYU Langone
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:03:52 pm »
Hi,

I really don't have time to write a lengthy response now, but I just saw your post and figured that I won't ignore it, if I can be of any help  :).
I had translab at NYU 6 months ago for a 2.5 cm AN.  Drs. Roland and Golfinos are 2 incredibly gifted surgeons and working as a team makes them even better.  I had no post-op complications and am really fortunate to have had such compassionate surgeons.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me.

All the best,
Fran

joyce04

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 04:27:16 am »
I appreciate this advice too- I'm a nebie to this site...am wavering among UCONN, Mass EYE AND EAR AND Langone...
Any feedback is appreciated...

1.5 cm
Grace under pressure...

NYLady

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 02:20:02 pm »
Donde,

While I did not have surgery with Drs. Roland/Golfinos...I did have Gamma Knife with Dr. Golfinos this past summer, and was also under watch and wait with Dr. Roland.  They handle multiple AN cases both surgically and with radiation weekly.  You woud be in excellent hands with this team.  They are so much more than brilliant doctors, they are exceptional people as well.  Please see my comments under radiation treatment.

Best of luck to you.

NYL

v357139

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 08:29:23 pm »
This forum has alot of Roland and Golfinos fans.  If you want, you can use the search function and search by their names to see all the posts on them.  That is a good way to get info.  If you are close to NY, you can also come to the next NY chapter meeting in December to meet people who went there.  PM me if you need more info.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

Irish46

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 03:02:19 pm »
Hello:
       I had AN 8 years ago and then 6 years ago developed a CSF leak. In the last 2/3 years I have had 4 operations and 4 different Drs. and nothing has worked. I have just been told by a Neurosurgeon that the only thing they can do is instal a v-shunt. After looking this up on the Net I am not thrilled about the outcome, can someone suggest another procedure??
  Thanks
  Steve

raji83

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 11:13:54 pm »
East or west ... Dr. Golfino/Rowland is the best

darrenpalmet

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 08:44:17 pm »
I consulted with Roland/Golfinos and Selesnick/Gutin (Cornell/MSKCC).  They're both world-class.  I have to put in a word for Selesnick/Gutin, who performed my retrosigmoid eight days ago.  They did a sensational job, and have great bedside manners.
44yo male diagnosed 1/9/15
2cm left-side touching brainstem
Pre-treat: Constant low-level tinnitus, no facial/balance issues, serviceable hearing (PTA=28.3; SD=52%)
Retrosig with Selesnick/Gutin at MSKCC on 4/7/15
Post: Facial nerve perfect, retained hearing (test results TBD). Great results so far!

v357139

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 07:52:58 pm »
I do not have any info specific on CSF leaks but I wish you the best of luck.  The doctors the previous person mentioned are really good.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!