Author Topic: Facial Paralysis  (Read 5309 times)

shannonbehling

Facial Paralysis
« on: August 25, 2014, 06:54:28 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I am 13 weeks post-op. I had a translabyrinthine craniotomy for removal of my AN (meningioma). That little bugger decided it wanted to wrap around my facial nerve as well as my cochlear nerve. My surgeon was able to remove it from my facial nerve. My facial nerve worked well in surgery and in the recovery room. By the time I arrived to the ICU the paralysis began. My surgeons feel it was injured from post-op swelling and being irritated from the meningioma. I still have facial paralysis. I have been doing facial exercises since day 1. I will be starting facial nerve stimulation therapy next week. My questions are: For those of you who experienced paralysis, how long before you started experiencing movement? Did you experience any particular sensations before you regained movements? Did anyone experience soreness to the touch of the paralyzed side? Did anything help regain movement or just coincidence? I read a lot of posts where it has taken 6 or 9 or 12 months to regain movement. I am really trying to be patient. As you all know, it's really hard!

Kristena

Re: Facial Paralysis
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:37:41 am »
I experienced facial paralysis after retrosigmoid surgery. My doctor seemed shocked because it was functioning during the operation too, but didn't respond at all in the hospital. I think the first thing I noticed is my face started to fill out in the temple area at about 6-8 weeks, where it had become rather concave in the weeks following surgery. Then there were the slightest movements on my cheekbone near my ear and next to my nose at around 4 months. Then the ball of my cheek would ever so slightly pump up with a slight raise of the corner of my lip around 6 months. I think all of these things happen naturally over time and shouldn't be pushed. Just my opinion, but try to use natural facial expressions and don't exaggerrate or try to hold them for a long time. I started seeing a facial therapist early on--maybe 1 month post-op, who recommended strengthening exercises for those muscles showing any movement. After 6 months, the synkinesis kicked in. I'm not saying it would or would not have happened if I had done nothing, but I don't think it would hurt to wait for up to a year and see what regenerates on its own. I know it's hard! I am now at 1 year, 2 mos post-op, and my face is kind of in a constant smirk on that side with synkinesis in my eye, eyebrow, cheek, neck...I have an appt with Jackie Diels next month and I hope she can help! Best of luck to you, and keep us posted on your progress.
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

shannonbehling

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 05:33:37 pm »
Kristena,
Thank you so much for the reply. It is so nice to blog with others who are going through the same. Really appreciated!

PatSal

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:33:36 pm »
 I had surgery in May, 2013 for my left AN,and developed facial paralysis three days after surgery. From the hospital, I went to in-patient rehab, and then to RIC for occupational therapy for the paralysis.  Was doing good with my home exercises until about January when I learned I had synkinesis.  I have an appointment with Jackie Diels this month, and am excited to see her.  I also still have a platinum weight in my eyelid (allergic to nickel which coats the gold weights) and am going to have my eye tested to see if it can be removed in November.  It's challenging, but keep up your exercises.  They do work and not everyone develops synkinesis.  good luck

Pamela55

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 03:07:30 pm »
I have had 2 AN's - 2007 and 2009. The first I lost my hearing in one ear and the second I had the facial paralysis. I still have the facial paralysis, but it is getting slowly better. I have heard that it takes 7 years for the paralysis to completely subside, if it does. I was able to start wearing my contacts a year ago, even though I still have no tears in that eye. (refresh eye drops are my best friend!)  As well, I can't drink out of cup, but must use a straw. Sometimes it is hard and I begin to feel sorry for myself and other times I feel extremely blessed to be where I am at this point.

annec

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 07:42:27 pm »
Shannon,

I am 11 months post translab surgery and my facial nerve was damaged as well.  It took a while to notice any movement (the slightest movement I noticed at about 4 months). I did have soreness/tenderness on the AN side, especially under my cheekbone. I also had strange sensations like a hair on my face for a while before I noticed movement. I still have some soreness around my nostril and along my eyebrow - hopefully that means I will see some movement there soon!  I am able to move my cheeks and blink my eye. Although I can move my mouth because of the movement in my cheek, I cannot move my lips very well yet (I can move my lips better than in the beginning).  I have some synkinesis when I try to close my eye. I find if I stretch my cheek muscles it helps with talking by keeping the cheek muscles from getting tight. When I am tired I do notice nothing works very well.  It is a very slow process and I am learning great lessons in patience. I wish you luck on your journey and that your recovery goes well!

feline

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 07:29:10 pm »
I feline still have paralysis since sx on June 30th 2014 Shannon keep me updated on how u do if u have tips please share.
Thank you
Feline-Tina S
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 09:49:47 pm by feline »
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise