Author Topic: Dry mouth  (Read 3983 times)

michelej

Dry mouth
« on: August 23, 2014, 08:48:31 pm »
Does anybody have problems with decreased salivation? I have noticed that since my translab surgery that my mouth is extremely dry especially on the AN side. I feel like my teeth get fur on them. YUCK. I have tried the Biotene mouth wash and it helps some but just wondered if anybody else had this problem. My surgeon was great but didn't act like this could be a problem from surgery. I read that the 7th cranial nerve had to do with salivation and facial movements so it makes sense to me. . Maybe I am just a freak? lol I love chips but have a hard time eating them.  :P Kind of like eating five saltines at one time.

Karen

Re: Dry mouth
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 07:07:27 pm »
I have the same problem.  I use Biotene also.  I constantly have a glass of something to drink.  its been 10 years since my surgery and its still that way.  Dr. had no answer for me.
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

mojwri54

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 03:23:53 pm »
I am going on almost 6 years since surgery and several years later cyberknife radiation. I have had the same problem Biotene toothpaste and mouth wash helps but not perfect but better then nothing. I carry water around with me constantly even to church.

Kerrybr92

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 07:48:57 am »
I too have the same problem.  It is certainly related to the surgery and the 7th cranial nerve.  It is the same reason why so may people have dry eye if they have some facial paralysis.  I too always have water with me and a humidifier is a must in the winter while I sleep.
Right AN 2.5cm
11/11/11 retrosigmoid surgery Drs. Barker and Mckenna MGH 16 hours
Right SSD, Right sclerel lens from Boston Foundation for Sight
Some facial weakness

shannonbehling

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:23:01 am »
It is related to your surgery. The 7th cranial nerve/facial nerve is responsible for tear production, facial movement, taste, and salivation. I think salivation is the only issue I didn't have a problem with.  I am 15 weeks post translab and I just got some tear production back last week! Time and patience are our friends. My recommendation would be to use products like Biotene and carry water with you as much as possible. Unfortunately, dental problems can arise from chronic dry mouth so take precautions.

PamJ

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 03:22:14 pm »
I also have dry mouth and I'm 3years post op, also my eye waters when I chew
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery