Author Topic: Troubles in Alaska.  (Read 3276 times)

AkIceBiker

Troubles in Alaska.
« on: August 19, 2014, 04:57:46 pm »
I live in a small town in Alaska.  The nearest large medical options for me is 200 miles away in Anchorage.  My doc diagnosed me with a 3.5cm AN a few weeks ago.  I have since learned that the Neurosurgeons in ANC say they do not want to work on me because of the size of my AN.  Too big or small???  Not sure.  So he called a Radiation Therapy place which say they should be able to help me.  My understanding is that a 3.5 was too large for radiation and surgery was going to be my only option.  I am really worried about the side effects and possible complications of surgery.  Sounds like radiation has many of the same!

I have a consult next week or so but I may need to look to Seattle or elsewhere for more options.  Any advice?  Thanks.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:12:17 pm by AkIceBiker »

seandimom

Re: Troubles in Alaska.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 07:01:01 pm »
Hi Paul, do look elsewhere for more options.  I'm blocking on the name--it's elsewhere on this forum--but there's a place in CA that specializes in AN.  I'm sure another reader will help me out with the name!   I think it begins with H so either I will remember or someone will help by writing the name.  Best of luck, Seandimom

seandimom

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:06:10 pm »
http://www.houseearclinic.com/eardisease/acousticneuroma

Paul, check out this clinic.  I went to U of Michigan because I live in that town and am happy with the result, but maybe House would be better for you?  best, Seandimom

AkIceBiker

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 05:43:05 pm »
Thanks so much.  I have an appointment with an Oncologist and a Neurosurgeon next week but may send some stuff off to House as well!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 06:20:28 pm »
Hi Paul .....

With a 3.5 cm AN you want a team of very experienced surgeons.  House Clinic will do free evaluations, as will Dr. Rick Friedman at USC in LA.  I believe there is a team of experienced surgeons in the Seattle area, as well.  Hopefully someone else on this forum can comment on any experiences there.

Many thoughts and prayers as you determine the best team in your own, unique situation.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011