Author Topic: The latest data taken from "Mind & Brain News" regarding tinnitus  (Read 3109 times)

Palace

• Palace
Higher caffeine intake is associated with lower rates of tinnitus, often described as a ringing or buzzing sound in the ear when there is no outside source of the sounds, in younger and middle-aged women. "We observed a significant inverse association between caffeine intake and the incidence of tinnitus among (participating) women," said the lead author.
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Echo

Re: The latest data taken from "Mind & Brain News" regarding tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 07:41:03 pm »
As a middle aged woman myself, I find higher caffeine intake increases my tinnitus. Lowering my caffeine intake was one of the first things I found that offered relief.  Being in excessively loud areas also increases my tinnitus.

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 08:12:28 pm »
I'm with Cathie.  My tinnitus is much worse when I drink too much coffee.  Unless I am reading your quote backwards, what the author said is the opposite of what I have experienced.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

seandimom

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 04:25:37 pm »
HI all, I have not read the original article, but it sounds like statistically, it could very well be that for most people sampled in the research study, there was a negative correlation--the more caffeine, the less tinnitus.  Some of us may experience the opposite of what was reported in the article, but it doesn't change their results or necessarily mean their research is flawed--it goes back to that saying "...predict most of the people most of the time, but not all of the people all of the time."  Our experiences with AN --treatment and recovery--are quite varied.   I think it's worth 'experimenting' with how much and what type of caffeine seems optimal post AN treatment.  I used to love a couple small cups of espresso pre-surgery.  Now I don't like the taste so much.  I now drink a few small cups of chai!   Thanks--Seandimom