Author Topic: Unilateral high frequency hearing loss - causes?  (Read 11243 times)

Nuttyneddy

Unilateral high frequency hearing loss - causes?
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:33:00 am »
Firstly, may I apologise for using your forum to ask this question as AFAIK I do not have an AN (MRI without contrast was normal) but you were very helpful in the initial stages of my diagnosis, and I've not been able to find any answers anywhere else.

Following a severe attack of vertigo in early November 2013 (and several subsequent, less severe ones) I have unilateral sensorineural hearing loss in my right ear, tinnitus and impaired balance.  I have recently had a pure tone audiometry test, which shows mild hearing loss in the low frequencies, moderate in the middle frequencies and severe hearing loss in the high frequencies in my affected ear (the left ear still has excellent hearing).  I have been given a diagnosis of probable Meniere's disease by the ENT consultant, but I am concerned that some of my symptoms don't seem to fit.  All the information I can find on Meniere's disease mentions fluctuating, low frequency hearing loss.  My hearing does not fluctuate (although it is much harder to hear in noisy environments than in quiet ones, I don't think anything actually changes in my ear, although noisy environments do make me dizzy so maybe it does), it deteriorated rapidly to this level and has remained like it.  Of course, the hearing loss is also not primarily in the low frequencies!

Has anyone come across a diagnosis in their own search for information that seems more appropriate?  I am obviously keen for the correct diagnosis, and one of a curable condition would be infinitely preferable rather than the limbo of a chronic, incurable illness.

I am booked in for a repeat hearing test in six months' time at which point I will question the ENT about it (I did not read the report of the hearing test at the time, I only happened to see it because I needed a letter from my GP detailing my symptoms) but in the mean time I am doing my own research.  I am in the UK, so have to work within the timeframe and limitations of the NHS (no disrespect to them, they are free after all!)

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Unilateral high frequency hearing loss - causes?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 05:48:19 am »
Hi Nuttyneddy .....

Feel free to use this forum for questions related to similar symptoms to those of us with ANs.

One of the reasons acoustic neuromas are relatively rare is because so many other conditions can mimic the same symptoms.

Did your ENT give you any medication or recommend any particular treatment for your diagnosis of Meniere's Disease?  If so, has it helped at all?

I really have no experience with how the UK health system works.  Since your first MRI was done without contrast, it is always possible a tiny AN (which could be causing many symptoms, depending upon its location) was missed.  Chances are still overwhelming that you do not have an AN.

Unless you have some other reason not to be able to have contrast material, if it were me I would ask for another MRI to be done with contrast when you go back for your hearing test in six months ..... especially if your symptoms are worse after taking/doing the recommended meds/treatment for the Meniere's diagnosis.

Just my thoughts .....

Clarice

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:37:53 am by CHD63 »
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 06:06:53 am »
Hi Clarice

Many thanks for your reply, and for not being cross with me for using the forum for non-AN purposes!  :D

I have been taking Betahistine (SERC) 3x daily as prescribed by my GP and the ENT said it was fine to take a higher dose on days when I feel worse.  It does seem to help, although it's not enough to stop the attacks altogether.  I also have Buccastem (Prochlorperazine) to take when I do have an attack which is marvellous stuff but which would block any causes of vertigo and nausea so doesn't really help with a diagnosis.  It's really hard to tell with a fluctuating illness - some days and weeks are better than others, and it's not easy to know what has caused things to be better or worse.

It's not really possible to request any kind of treatment with the NHS, you just have to wait to be offered it  :-\  I will question him though, and perhaps he will have some answers.  Such a long time to wait though!

I suppose my biggest fear is that it will strike the other ear as well.  My hearing is pretty well unusable in my right ear - everything sounds several tones higher than it should (even when I can hear speech through that ear it is like people have been inhaling helium), and if I move my head (nod or shake it) I can hear weird noises in addition to the tinnitus (they are actually quite amusing!).  If my hearing was like that in both ears I'd be effectively deaf, so I'm not keen on that as a prospect.  I do try not to worry about it though, I know it won't do any good!

I suppose I'm hoping somebody will have had the same symptoms and been suggested a diagnosis (whether or not it turned out to be correct) that they can share with me so I can research it myself.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 11:37:58 pm »
I have unilateral sensorineural hearing loss in my right ear, tinnitus and impaired balance.

I had the same symptoms and within a year my AN ear was 100% deaf.

I agree with Clarice that an MRI without contrast could easily miss an AN.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Ronzi

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 12:03:41 am »
Hi, just like you i too i had the same symptoms. And after the diagnosis, i was told that i’m partially hearing impaired and undergoing the treatment since few months in a audiology clinic in Toronto. The audiologist has prescribed me to wear hearing aid 24/7. But i wonder, will i have to wear this device throughout my life ? Even after wearing this hearing aid, won’t i be normal as my other friends are. I’m really frustrated.

arizonajack

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 12:02:03 pm »
Hi, just like you i too i had the same symptoms. And after the diagnosis, i was told that i’m partially hearing impaired and undergoing the treatment since few months in a audiology clinic in Toronto. The audiologist has prescribed me to wear hearing aid 24/7. But i wonder, will i have to wear this device throughout my life ? Even after wearing this hearing aid, won’t i be normal as my other friends are. I’m really frustrated.

Whatever hearing you've lost isn't likely to come back so hearing aids are a lifetime commitment. However, I've never bought into the 24/7 business. I almost never wear them around the house (I live alone). Once in a while I wear them if I have to clear up TV dialog a bit. But, ordinarily, I just put them on when I go out but leave them turned off until I'm in a situation where I need to talk to somebody. Conserves batteries that way.

With miniaturization these days, the units sit behind the ear, are flesh colored and generally won't be noticed by anybody else. You can also opt for smaller inside-the-ear units.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

keithmac

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 01:44:33 pm »

Whatever hearing you've lost isn't likely to come back so hearing aids are a lifetime commitment. However, I've never bought into the 24/7 business. I almost never wear them around the house (I live alone). Once in a while I wear them if I have to clear up TV dialog a bit. But, ordinarily, I just put them on when I go out but leave them turned off until I'm in a situation where I need to talk to somebody. Conserves batteries that way.

With miniaturization these days, the units sit behind the ear, are flesh colored and generally won't be noticed by anybody else. You can also opt for smaller inside-the-ear units.

A friend on our park in AZ bought a new pair of super-duper aids from COSTCO - the ones that have a remote control and the amplifier is in the earbud itself, microphone behind the ear, I forget the brand - and he told me his hearing had been totally transformed.  He said he hears things now he hasn't heard in ages - but hadn't realized!  And he was moved to tears that he found he could speak to his son on the telephone, something he hadn't done for 20 years.  I was impressed at how good his new aids were.  (Another friend on the park had told me a similar story a couple of weeks earlier.  This latter friend has extremely poor hearing and used to avoid groups as he couldn't follow conversations.  But he still doesn't wear his aids all the time - see below.)

My first friend told me he used to wear his old aids mostly when he left the house.  When he told his audiologist this he was told that he should wear his new ones all the time he was awake.  The reason was to enable his brain to re-adjust more effectively to sounds he'd not properly heard for decades. 

arizonajack

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 10:39:08 am »

My first friend told me he used to wear his old aids mostly when he left the house.  When he told his audiologist this he was told that he should wear his new ones all the time he was awake.  The reason was to enable his brain to re-adjust more effectively to sounds he'd not properly heard for decades.

When I first got my hearing aids I, too, marveled at the sounds of my footsteps, water boiling, birds chirping, distant traffic, and peeing sounding like Niagara Falls. That novelty wore off pretty quick and I got used to not wearing them when there was nothing that I needed to listen to. The mileage of others might vary.  ;D

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm