Author Topic: Scar tissue vs recurring AN  (Read 3192 times)

Nielette

Scar tissue vs recurring AN
« on: August 12, 2014, 01:01:27 pm »
Good evening all

I was diagnosed with AN last year OCT. After doing all the research on treatments available to me I decided to go for surgery.

On the 6th of May 2014, after 12 hours, my AN was partially removed, Middle Fossa Approach. The wonderful doctors had to leave a quarter of my AN to preserve my facial nerve. My recovery went extremely well and even the audiograms showed that my hearing improved. After only six weeks I was back at work (only for a couple of hours a day), and felt almost normal. I am truly blessed!

Last week Thursday, 7 Aug 2014, I woke up and could not hear a single thing from my AN-ear. This came as quite a shock as my hearing had improved so much.  I contacted my neurosurgeon and my ENT. My ENT immediately asked to see me and scheduled a audiogram after my check up.  The audiogram showed significant hearing loss (over night????). This caused some alarm amongst my doctors and I was sent for a MRI the following day. The MRI showed either a recurring AN or scar tissue with the measurements of 12mm x 8mm.

I am now scheduled to see the ENT surgeon and Neurosurgeon next week to discuss what this might be. They seem to be worried as it had such an dramatic and instant impact on my hearing.

Not quite sure what I am asking - maybe just sharing, hoping someone else had the same experience and it was only scar tissue.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Scar tissue vs recurring AN
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 02:53:00 pm »
Hi Nielette and welcome to this forum of supportive friends .....

Your situation does sound a bit unusual with sudden hearing loss three months after surgery.  Swelling could account for some of it, but it still seems extreme.

How large was your AN at the time of the removal?  In other words, is 12mm x 8mm more than the 25% the surgeon had to leave?

It is often difficult to distinguish residual/regrowing tumor from scar tissue on an MRI.  However, it is your sudden change in hearing that is the concern, I suspect.

Thoughts and prayers and please keep us posted on what your neurosurgeon says.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Nielette

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 11:36:10 pm »
Thanks Clarice.

When we discovered the AN it was still very small (6,5mm x 8mm) at the time of the operation it had almost doubled in size (11,9mm x 8mm), they only left a quarter of that so I am guessing a +/- 4mm x 2mm piece. They never told me what the exact size of the remaining piece was only that it was a quarter of the original size. So the "scar tissue/ AN" is now bigger than it was before the surgery.

I really appreciate your prayers and support! It is a blessing to have other people who knows what you are going through to chat to! The first time I went through this I really felt God's favor and blessing in my life and I am sure it will turn out fine - it is just wonderful to talk to someone who understands the uncertainty of the entire situation!

Will definitely let you know what the neurosurgeon says!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:28:41 am »
Nielette .....

I certainly understand your anguish ..... and it will be OK, just not what we were hoping for sometimes.

Prayers for peace while you wait.

Stay in touch!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Nielette

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 02:45:33 am »
Hello everyone!

After seeing the doctor on Monday, we have to play the wait and watch game! Apparently it is way to soon to determine what the mass in my head is.

He has told me that he thinks my hearing loss will be permanent this time, but with the amazing technology out there I am not worried. I am still extremely blessed and more fortunate than a lot of people out there.

Hope every one is well!

xx