General Category > AN Issues

Brain Surgery on NY MED Show

(1/1)

sandyinwisconsin:
Did anyone watch NY MED on Thursday night?  NY MED is a weekly show on ABC.  It's live
coverage of several New York hospitals. 

Dr. Guy McKhann of New York Presbyterian Hospital did brain surgery on a man who was in his 20's
who had a golf ball size meningioma. The tumor was pressing on a portion of his brain that affected the
movement of the left side of his body, including sensation. 

The tumor was also next a major vein and would have to be carefully separated from that vein
without puncturing it.  If it was punctured, it would result in terrential blood loss.

The resident said whenever you are entering the brain, there is a risk for anything to happen.

While they were waking him up after surgery, the left side of his body wasn't responding.  The resident said,
You just don't know how the brain is going to respond during brain surgery.  Eventually,
the man did get his movement back and went home a few days later. 

I wonder if they'll ever have an AN patient on the show. 

Sandy

MDemisay:
Dear Sandy,

NY Presbyterian is the hospital I had both of brain surgeries in (as you can read below. They have been a great hospital for many years! Surely, they will have an AN surgery coming up. I was less than thrilled when Dr. McDreamy did an AN surgery without showing the after effects in April or May on a competing network.

It was completely unrealistic!!!!

After all, it was a drama! But for one who went through it (in 2004), I found it terribly disappointing. My recovery period was 3 weeks in the hospital for example. The TV version was 2 days. With no mention of rehabilitation at all.

Mike

Kristena:
Hi Sandy! I did see it--I love that show and the fact that it's all real and doesn't use reenactments (much like the old "Trauma: Life in the ER"). I was amazed at the patient's recovery after he couldn't even squeeze his doctor's hand after surgery!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version